HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default help me word this letter

DS got into two schools for next year. We are going to one and have to write a formal letter declining the other in order to get a portion of our downpayment back (we sacrifice the application fee). I have never written this type of letter and was hoping for some feedback.

Dear (school director),

thank you for accepting (DS's name) into your Kindergarten program for the 2010-2011 school year. This will be DS's 5th year at the school and we have been very happy with the program. However, (DS's name) was also accepted into another program, and in light of his special needs, we feel X program is a better fit for (DS's name) at this point. Therefore, we are withdrawing DS from the (school name) Kindergarten program for 2010-2011.

We realize that withdrawing after acceptance will mean we forfeit the application fee and a portion of the down payment for next year. It is our understanding that withdrawing between April 1 and June 30, 2010 means that we should receive half of this down payment back. Can you please advise us on this.

Thank you again,

OUR NAMES
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

bump. anyone?
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it sounds fine, except for the "please advise me on this," because if you're entitled to the $$ back, you're entitled to it back. I would change the last sentence to "Therefore, please forward FILL IN THE AMOUNT to me at the above address. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Never had to write that type of letter, but it sounds good. I would take out the "Can you please advise us" at the end. You already stated your understanding and are giving them room to "correct" your understanding.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    I think it sounds fine, except for the "please advise me on this," because if you're entitled to the $$ back, you're entitled to it back. I would change the last sentence to "Therefore, please forward FILL IN THE AMOUNT to me at the above address. Thank you in advance for your cooperation."

It's your money and you've gone though all the necessary steps to ensure that you get some of it back. Politely demand its return. I think boolady's version of the last sentence is perfect.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

The school will understand why you're leaving.

Did you get into the school that you were hoping for??