Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default s/o: body issues...Jillian Michaels comments on pregnancy

well I stumbled on this article.....some more food for thought in the whole body issue discussions we've been having.
    Did anyone actually read the whole article in Women's Health??

And does anyone know for a fact about the whole soy thing and thyroid problems??

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/jillian-mic...comments--1178
    Last edited by newg; 04-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Jillian is wacko. She wants to replace Oprah???
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use one of her DVDs to get my body back into shape after having DD. My body will never be what I had prebaby but it was SO worth it. My abs are s-l-o-w-l-y returning and my stretches marks have faded to almost nothing. I guess if I had had a c-section it would be more difficult but I was lucky to have had a successful NCB.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I read the first paragraph of that article and immediately thought, "she's afraid if she gets fat from being pregnant that she won't be able to lose it. Then her career will be shot."

She just doesn't want to get fat. Oh, and she's crazy. Replace Oprah? No way!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

On some other message boards I post on there are posters over there with thyroid issues who avoid soy like the plague so I do believe that there is a link between the two.

I don't know much about Michaels herself, but I do plan on doing some of her videos because I have heard really good results about them.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Next Oprah? That's just silly!

The whole pregnancy comment is bizarre to me, too. She could make a killing off prenatal DVD's and post-partum workouts.

I do think it's great that she wants to adopt, though!

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Though I really hate when people think of adoption as rescue. I went through IF and used to have very different attitudes about adoption than I do now. Parenting is deeply humbling.

jillian is a nut. i agree with the expert in the article who raised concerns about her coaching others about body image issues if this is her attitude. this comment tells me she is not willing to relinquish any of her absolute control over her body for anything, even pregnancy/childbirth. i imagine many or most of those she's coaching on TBL have had children, so what does that say to them? that having been pregnant/giving birth is yet another factor working against them to achieve an ideal weight/fitness level, making it difficult or impossible to succeed? if jillian michaels can't do it, who can??? (i have issues with TBL, i know it's controversial because they're changing people's lives in a "positive" way, i just don't always agree with the methods.) she clearly fears losing control, considering her history of childhood overweight, and if that alone deters her from such a natural (and beautiful and miraculous) body experience (when she apparently still wants kids), i would say she still has issues. course, i would have said she has issues anyway...

and the whole oprah thing? doesn't she know that, if she ever did have a prayer of filling the oprah void (not likely), she just killed it by talking about it in a magazine? where's your filter? and how many celebrities now have their own talk shows that are watched by NO ONE??? good luck, jillian. i almost feel sorry for her.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm annoyed by her comment. I mean, does she realize HOW many women who buy her videos and products are those who are trying to lose pregnancy wt or tone up after having had children??? Talk about insulting your own viewers/customers. Stupid!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by blisstwins View Post
    Though I really hate when people think of adoption as rescue. I went through IF and used to have very different attitudes about adoption than I do now. Parenting is deeply humbling.
    I agree. Her view on adoption is more upsetting to me than her views on pregnancy.

I wouldn't want to be her kid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast