Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I guess it could be offensive, but keep in mind, she doesn't have kids yet. Many people's stance on being a parent completely changes the second they actually hold their first child. She's single and childless...she just doesn't get it yet. I don't think she understands the bond. And considering everything she's been through trying to lose weight and maintain, I can understand her being concerned.

I was morbidly obese before having weight loss surgery. I lost a lot of weight and got healthy. One of the reasons I did it was because I wanted to have a baby and that just wasn't possible with all the extra weight I had. Even though I went into it with the plan of wanting a child, it was quite the mental transition to prepare my brain for putting on any weight again (even though it was healthy & related to a much-wanted baby.) Yes, I got over it and it was more than worth it. But I can't fault Jillian for being scared about putting herself into a situation where she would put on weight. Maybe she'll get over it. Maybe she won't. If she's happy with adoption, then that's great and what works for her.

That said...it would have been in her best interests to keep her mouth shut about that stuff. Like other posters have said, she could have made a mint of pregnancy workouts, get your body back DVDs, etc.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

In defense of JM - have you read "Master Your Metabolism"? It is all about hormones and the things we and our environment do to destroy our hormone balance. It is highly educational, mostly accurately, and potentially life-altering. I think from what I read that a lot of the mamas here would really love the book.... if you are into finding out what our environment, our foods, our plastics, our medicines, etc. are doing to our bodies, then this is a book for you. It is a fun, easy read, but highly educational.

When I listened to her podcast, she was not the most up-to-date scientifically, but she was never *wrong*, and that is unusual. She was always on a quest to FIND OUT accurate info and I appreciate that. (Her podcast is gone).

I cannot see her as the next Oprah - she makes too many faux-pas (she is very human). But I respect her, and listen to her quite a bit!

hugs,
    Barbie

I have been on thyroid meds for nearly 10 years and never been warned about soy.

Mayo Clinic article says as long as you are taking meds it is okay in small amounts and not to eat soy right after taking your medication.
    Mom to two sweet girls: Defne 4/01 and Deniz 2/06

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by funda62 View Post
    I have been on thyroid meds for nearly 10 years and never been warned about soy.

Mayo Clinic article says as long as you are taking meds it is okay in small amounts and not to eat soy right after taking your medication.
    see I'm on sythroid and I've never had anyone tell me to avoid soy. Now I don't sit down and eat a plate of it, but my bottle does say to avoid food for for 1/2hr. after taking pill, and don't drink/eat grapefruit........so you'd think the bottle would say to avoid soy as well.

I think getting pregnant and bouncing back to your pp weight would be the perfect example and motivation for others. And like pp said, the market of videos she could produce would be amazing..I'm watching Heidi Klum (sp?) right now on Project Runway and she just had a baby and looks amazing.........she's had at least three total and you can't tell at all.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with adoption; it is something we will probably do if we want anymore children...but the way she phrased it.......

And the whole Oprah thing................not even on the same level.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Her rescue terminology regarding adoption is really bothering me.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    I guess it could be offensive, but keep in mind, she doesn't have kids yet. Many people's stance on being a parent completely changes the second they actually hold their first child. She's single and childless...she just doesn't get it yet. I don't think she understands the bond. And considering everything she's been through trying to lose weight and maintain, I can understand her being concerned.

I was thinking the same thing. IMO she has a very immature idea about babies and being pregnant. Its hard for me to call someone who is at least 1.5x my age immature but thats how I see it.

I was a dancer and had an amazing body before I got pregnant and while I only gained 11lbs during my pregnancy my muscle tone and strength was g-o-n-e but I have never though it 'ruined' my body. My body is so much less important than the love I have for Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I'm annoyed by her comment. I mean, does she realize HOW many women who buy her videos and products are those who are trying to lose pregnancy wt or tone up after having had children??? Talk about insulting your own viewers/customers. Stupid!
    Adoption is great, but do it out of the kindness of your heart not the selfishness of not wanting to have stretch marks!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, I haven't seen her a lot (don't watch the biggest Loser), but have seen her on The Doctors. She rubs me as very caustic "hard". I don't like it when she's doing "faux" therapy with people, that is really just all pushing and confrontation. She's not a trained therapist. She makes Dr. Phil look warm and fuzzy. At least when he is confrontational, there's a layer of empathy and it's for a reason. She seems mean.

I'm totally guessing, but I think she might be so deathly afraid of getting fat. She doesn't have that fear under control. Preg/childbirth is a natural thing. I also do not like how she talks about adoption primarily as "rescuing". That's a set up for a bad situation. What, is the child supposed to feel grateful and indebted to her for the rest of his life? Immature is a good word for it.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BelleoftheBallFlagstaff View Post
    Adoption is great, but do it out of the kindness of your heart not the selfishness of not wanting to have stretch marks!
    Actually I disagree with that - the first part. I'd say do adoption for wanting to raise a child but not thinking it's necessary for them to be your biological children. But ITA about no wanting to do it to avoid stretch marks! (please don't think I'm attacking you!)

I guess she's just afraid that she'll never be able to bounce back and that the PP videos etc will never happen, in the first place...

Many people in the thyroid group I belong to avoid soy products, high consumption of soy products is linked to thyroid dysfunction.
    http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2