Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Glad to hear that nothing unusual was discovered! I agree--it's MUCH harder on the parents than the kids. I was sobbing nonstop (and leaking copious breastmilk as they wouldn't let me nurse her) when DD1 had to get the spinal tap and the catheter, and I didn't think I could cry any harder as those were all after 14+ attempts to put in an IV line. Apparently, at 3 weeks old her veins were too tiny for the ER staff so they stabbed every arm and leg about 4 times before they gave up and sent us up to Pediatrics for them to do it! I didn't want to share all that before you went in with your DD, but suffice to say, DD1 wasn't crying as hard as me!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hugs! DD#1 has had a couple of caths done at Children's and they really seem to be worse on the parents/nurses than the child.

Hoping you get good news!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Glad to hear that nothing unusual was discovered! I agree--it's MUCH harder on the parents than the kids. I was sobbing nonstop (and leaking copious breastmilk as they wouldn't let me nurse her) when DD1 had to get the spinal tap and the catheter, and I didn't think I could cry any harder as those were all after 14+ attempts to put in an IV line. Apparently, at 3 weeks old her veins were too tiny for the ER staff so they stabbed every arm and leg about 4 times before they gave up and sent us up to Pediatrics for them to do it! I didn't want to share all that before you went in with your DD, but suffice to say, DD1 wasn't crying as hard as me!
    OMG... my heart is breaking just reading this. i used to volunteer/shadow in children's ER, and the one thing that got me EVERY TIME is when they are unsuccessful sticking a baby. i've seen a spinal tap on a baby too, and they had trouble hitting it, and baby was screaming, and i almost hit the floor, literally. i CANNOT imagine seeing this done to your own child. i would be absolutely inconsolable. (((hugs))) to you for having had to go through this, even if it was a while ago! absolute agony. yeah, the cath wasn't so bad because she was relatively calm beforehand and just didn't like being held down. but the day i have to watch her get a spinal tap after having multiple unsuccessful IV attempts... oh my, just call the men in the white coats to haul me away!
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

just wanted to say good luck to you....poor baby. My 2.9 yo was just sick for the past week with high fever and it was heartwrenching....hope it goes well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2