lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default SSRI - side effects

i took my first lexapro last night right before bed

when DS woke at 5:30 this morning, i opened my eyes and thought i was going to vomit

and i started sweating. and i had a blinding headache

now this could all be coincidence, and maybe i'm coming down with something

but i feel ok right now. i think...

i have a call into the NP, but while i'm waiting to hear back was wondering if anyone else experienced similar symptoms from this or any other SSRI? if so, how long did it last?

i took zoloft many years ago and i don't remember feeling poorly

thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It sounds like it could be side effects, or it could be something else. Helpful, huh? The side-effects can be so varied. For me, I stopped taking Lexapro because I had several days of severe stomach pain which I only assume came from starting it. But I have heard many good things about Lexapro. I've had some side-effects with Prozac also.

What are you taking it for? I'm just asking because, for me, I could have those same symptoms you describe when I am dealing with a bad bout of my anxiety, which is what I am taking Prozac for currently.

The only side-effect I've had which is longish lasting from Prozac is (TMI) difficulty reaching orgasm. I'm still waiting for that to go away, but last time I took the meds it did after several months. The other side effects I had like slight aversion to food (and subsequent weight loss) ended after a couple months.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah, could go either way.

The side effects I had with Lexapro were increased energy and euphoria. Off and on (mostly just after a pill) for about a week and a half. I think it's typical to experience some side effects when starting an SSRI and it does NOT mean it's not a good choice for you...... side effects do go away after a couple of week. That's not to you should put up with headaches, of course. Just saying that weird side effects are pretty normal and do go away.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My major side effect from Lexapro was about 30 minutes after taking my pill I would feel hot and get very sweaty (mostly in my head/face... weird huh) so I took my pill at bedtime and that helped. I felt VERY tired for a good 3 or 4 weeks... then that cloud lifted. The one bonus for me was that I had the opposite effect that another person was having trouble with with their med... I was able to achieve orgasm FAST and my sex drive as a whole went way up.

what is the dosage you are starting with? My doctor had me start slowly (I think half a pill) and then went up from there. Be sure if you decide to stop taking Lexapro that you do it very slowly .... like down to 3/4th of a pill, then to 1/2 a pill, then 1/4th of a pill every 2 weeks or so and then off. I had a bit of an adjustment period when I stopped my meds but after a month or so my emotions evened out.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Yeah, could go either way.

I think it's typical to experience some side effects when starting an SSRI and it does NOT mean it's not a good choice for you...... side effects do go away after a couple of week. That's not to you should put up with headaches, of course. Just saying that weird side effects are pretty normal and do go away.
    Talk to the NP about your sx, but be aware if they are side effects, that they likely will go away after the adjustment period, so don't judge the med on the first 2 weeks alone.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard