Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default S/O CSA Questions

This is totally new to me, so I am wondering how you know if a place is a good price or good quality. I found one locally and here is the online info:

$26.00 a wk for 21 wks $546.00 a year w/ full payment or $250.00 @ due date bal. in 30 days. Full share=12 LB of produce a wk. Members will get 1 watermelon 2 times a month,. we will be growing about 11 melons & vegetables

So I guess, first, does that sound good?

Second, I know DH at least is going to be freaked out at the idea of paying someone to randomly bring who knows what from who knows where. I mean, do we need to visit this farm or something to feel comfortable doing this? I wish I had a personal recommendation from someone but I don't think I know anyone who has tried this.

Any thoughts? TIA!

ETA: Oh, and it doesn't say anything about organic. Do I need to just call them for more info?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The pricing / amt sounds fine to me - very fair.

I'd visit the farm if you can. If it's too far, I'd email the farmer any detailed questions you have. He/She will certainly be happy to answer.

Many farms around here are not organic because jumping through the right hoops to get that certification is expensive for certain crops. They should be able to explain exactly what their philosophy is on the topic and what they do and you can gauge your own comfort level from there.

The only other thing to be aware of it is that if it's a bad year..... you will get lousy produce. I mean, that's obvious, but still worth reiterating. You aren't buying produce, you're buying a share in whatever the farm produces, so there is some risk.

Hope it works out for you!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We pay a little less than that for veggies and an additional $60 for a dozen eggs each week. Your season is also longer than ours, which makes sense.

The only other thing to be aware of it is that if it's a bad year..... you will get lousy produce. I mean, that's obvious, but still worth reiterating. You aren't buying produce, you're buying a share in whatever the farm produces, so there is some risk.
    Apparently our CSA got a LOT of complaints last year because people were upset about the quantity and quality of the produce. Last year was a hard growing season here. I thought it was all fine, but it was our first year.

FWIW, ours is not delivered to our house. There are some here that do that and you pay a little more for those. But ours has several pick up locations. We have a new one this year and it is super convenient for us. But sometimes the location is not so convenient.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I found this website. Hopefully it will help you! http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnandangel View Post
    I found this website. Hopefully it will help you! http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
    That's where I found the info, actually! Now that I understand it better (as far as pickup locations, etc) I see that there are more than just that one option available in my area. So, I will be doing some research to look into which one we could do. Thanks for the feedback!

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Cost is totally reasonable. I would look at exactly what fruits and veggies they are planting and if you can see yourself eating them. Ask them if they use organic practices, ipm, or conventional.

Also try to google and find reviews if you can't on localharvest.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

sounds fine to me. It's a great experiment. You may find yourself growing in cooking skills/trying new things. Do they provide any kind of support in terms of what to do with the food? Mine has a cookbook, meal plan, shopping list, etc. which enables me to use all the stuff. Can't wait for it to start next week.

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    sounds fine to me. It's a great experiment. You may find yourself growing in cooking skills/trying new things. Do they provide any kind of support in terms of what to do with the food? Mine has a cookbook, meal plan, shopping list, etc. which enables me to use all the stuff. Can't wait for it to start next week.
    oh good point - the csa we did last year had no support and it sucked. this year we went with a different one who sends out an email with what's in the box (to help meal plan) and recipes. i think that makes a huge difference.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2