Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE IN OP- Apparently I need something stronger than pepper spray...

Just thought you all might be interested to hear what happened. So, I typed that first post on Friday afternoon. On Saturday, DH and i went to our school's annual fundraiser and saw the neighbors of the meandog. I hadn't thought to ask her before because although I really like and trust this neighbor she's a doctor and is rarely home when I'm home. Anyway, I asked her if she knew her next-door neighbors with the large black lab. She said she did and that they are great neighbors. I told her what happened on Monday and Friday and she was shocked. She said she doesn't understand why the wife wasn't more apologetic and friendly because she's usually so nice. She also reassured me that the dog is a big baby and is just a little overexcited sometimes. She did say that the wife had mentioned she's having trouble getting the Invisible Fence company back out to repair her fence so that's why their dog "Max" has been getting out a lot lately. I felt horrified then, and admitted I called the cops. She just laughed and reassured me that I did the right thing and that I shouldn't have to be frightened for my safety when on the street. She agreed the dog is big and can be frightening. But she reassured me again that the next time I walk by, if he's out I should just yell, "Max, go home!" several times and that should do it.

Fast forward to today, Monday. My pepper spray at some point got kicked off the stroller hook where I carry it so it's and I have none right now. But I ordered some last week so hopefully I'll get it soon. In the meantime, I'm taking a long, left over vacuum attachment extender with us for protection (really scary, right?). So, we walked that way again and the dang dog came bounding out AGAIN and I kept walking with my eyes forward and ignoring him all while yelling, "Max go home!" The wife came out and said something but I just ignored her and pretended I couldn't hear her because of my headphones. I don't know if she was talking to me or the dog. I just kept looking forward and walking away. I did notice, though, that the dog came up against the Invisible Fence. I could tell by the way he stopped at it. So, he didnt' come out in the street, but it scared me to death anyway. I'm glad they turned it back on.

I'll be really happy when my new pepper spray comes. And those neighbors sell their house.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just need to vent because I'm angry about this. On Monday i was walking the twins and Cha cha in the stroller. I do this every summer in an effort to lose weight and shape up. There is a route I like because it keeps me off a very busy street but it goes right past 2 yards with big, scary dogs. Until this year, I'd never had a problem but on Monday, a dog from one of the yards bounded out of his yard at me, barring his teeth and growling. I yelled "help, help!" and moved into the middle of the road but he kept coming. Normally I know that most black labs are just boisterous and overexcited but harmless. However, when he's barring his teeth, growling and coming right at me, I'm not taking chances. since his owner didn't appear when i yelled for help, I sprayed his face several times with pepper spray. The owner came out then and said, "Fido (or whatever his name was), stop it!" The dog sneezed a couple of times and went back into the yard. I looked at the owner stunned and shaking and said, "I just sprayed your dog with pepper spray!" She yelled angrily, "Good!" I looked at her and again and said, "I have 3 little kids in this stroller!" She didn't say anything and went into her house. I kept walking, spouting out cuss words but let it go.

Until today. When it happened again. I was walking the twins and Cha cha again and the dog came bounding into the street. this time I was walking on the opposite side of the street and a neighbor backed her car out and crossed in front of the dog. The dog stopped then and didn't go any further toward us so I kept walking. Apparently, our nanny said this same dog has come out into the street and approached her too. She works with a dog rescue and not too much frightens her so she ignored him. He came up to her and sniffed her butt a few times and went back into the yard. There is a sign for an invisible fence but it was clearly not on or working on Monday or today. Our nanny said it wasn't working the day he came toward her either. He didn't even hesitate.

I'm just pi$$ed off and my adrenaline is racing. I did call the cops and they are going to talk to the owner. They asked me to report the next time it happens and at that time they'll give the owner a citation. I don't really know these neighbors but I see they have the house for sale. I wish they'd sell it and just move on already. This is a bad start to my summer of walking off the weight. sigh.

BTW, the dog really didn't seem too affected by the pepper spray. All it did was lick its nose and sneeze. I'm not even sure if it was the spray or the owner calling out the door that actually stopped the dog on Monday.

Anyone know what I could use to stop him the next time he comes at me and the owner doesn't intercede???
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 04-27-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If the dog is determined to bite you nothing will stop him. If he is coming at you half heartedly then an air horn *may*work. Don't smile, he may take that as you bearing you teeth and threaten him. If his head is really high or really low and he is loping towards you he probably wont bite you. Level head and blazing towards you...he means business. If he makes it to you, don't run. Protect your face, neck and hands...basically curl up into a fetal position. Honestly..I may take a different route if I had my kids with me.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

YIKES! I'd avoid the dog for sure. The owners need to get a grip.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am glad you called the police and reported the dog and I am thrilled you had pepper spray with you!

We have an aggressive Boxer dog who lives 3 doors down and I have witnessed him break out of his yard and attack 2 dogs in 6 weeks last summer.

I carry a thick wooden dowel in our stroller(the thickness of what you would hang in a coat closet). It is about 2' long and fits in the storage compartment. If that dog ever comes at us on a walk I will use it to ward him off with the stick, but if attacks my dog (small Shih Tzu) I plan on using it on him. Probably not the best plan, but it makes me feel batter knowing that I have the stick just in case.

I really should get some pepper spray. How did you get yours?
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    If the dog is determined to bite you nothing will stop him. If he is coming at you half heartedly then an air horn *may*work. Don't smile, he may take that as you bearing you teeth and threaten him. If his head is really high or really low and he is loping towards you he probably wont bite you. Level head and blazing towards you...he means business. If he makes it to you, don't run. Protect your face, neck and hands...basically curl up into a fetal position. Honestly..I may take a different route if I had my kids with me.
    wow.. you really know your stuff! i agree--take a different route if you can. check back periodically and see if the new owners have a nice jack russell terrier or something.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A different route sounds like a great idea!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Bear spray and a baseball bat should do the trick.

Or a new route.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our route often takes DD, the dog & I along a walking path that many people have decided to let their dog run. Several times now I've had a dog run up to us very aggressively with no owner in site, my poor dog is already scared having been attacked earlier this spring - so it's been up to me to stand really, really tall and just yell the heck at the dog coming. So far it's been effective & the dogs have backed away, but I also have a 'walking stick' in the stroller that can be used if necessary too.

I'm so glad you called the police - sometimes owners are so clueless about the harm their dogs can cause & a citation or fine might give them a strong kick in the butt. I'd take a different route for a few days and then head back to scope it out again.

Good luck - stay safe.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, your pepper spray didn't work? Kudos to you for having it with you. I should get some. I'm glad you called the cops. We have leash laws here. You shouldn't be afraid to take a walk with your kids. What if they had been bitten, heaven forbid! I know runners and all of them have run into dogs that have tried to bite them from time to time. It's terrible.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    Good tips!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast