Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I believe bear spray is stronger and has a more forceful amount and spray.

I am a big believer in calling the police on neighbors dogs that are aggressive. I have called 3 times on one neighbor, the house next to use. They paid a huge fine the third time, had a fence company out the next day and we have not had a problem in a year.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I make friends with all the dogs on my route of walking. I have a bag of bisquits in the stroller and talk to the dogs in a cheery voice without fear in it. When the get close, I offer them a cookie and tell them that I will see them next time. After a few meetings, I am their best friend.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Here is a good dog attack article. Pepper spray is apparently not ideal.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

HTH
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by Radosti View Post
    I make friends with all the dogs on my route of walking. I have a bag of bisquits in the stroller and talk to the dogs in a cheery voice without fear in it. When the get close, I offer them a cookie and tell them that I will see them next time. After a few meetings, I am their best friend.
    OP I am a HUGE dog lover (we have two right now), but I don't recommend this to you for an aggressive dog that is charging you baring his teeth. The fact that his owner approved of you spraying him tells me something is off somewhere. I'm sorry this happened, and I'm glad you called the cops.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

They make citronella spray to stop barking... dogs hate the smell maybe you can try that... look at the pet store.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I would start carrying a baseball bat or a large tennis racket with me. If the dog comes at you again get ready to swing. I have had experiences with dogs acting similarly but instead of yelling help I would yell at the dog... "Quiet/Enough, Go Home" and they actually stopped and acted kinda surprised and then turned around and went home. I would call the police asap if he is out again.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't look into his eyes or smile. Not even for a second. Look away, keep your body turned so that your side or your back faces him (no facing him with your chest!). Walk slowly, stay quiet, and growl a quiet "No" or "go home" if he comes near enough.

Unfortunately, I think it might be the stroller that is causing him to act aggressively - I am going to guess he is afraid of it. I would totally recommend a different route.

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just a note about bear spray. I've accidentally discharged the spray when the guard was off (long story) and one little spritz filled the air. It was miserable for me and the coworker next to me. I'd recommend changing your route instead of counting on using it around the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post

Unfortunately, I think it might be the stroller that is causing him to act aggressively - I am going to guess he is afraid of it. I would totally recommend a different route.
    I think this is a good observation. It probably looks really weird to him, so he's afraid. One of my doggies is afraid of bikes. Luckily it's the 16lb poodle.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I had a similar experience at Home Depot. Some idiot decided that their dog needed excercise and the way to do that is to let the dog loose in the parking lot and then drive your car around while the dog chases it. All this while the Home Depot is open. The dog was aggressive and I didn't see it at first. It ran up to me and DD barking and growling and I yelled at it "Get out of here! Go home! Bad dog! Bad dog!" Employees came running and asked if I was okay. I was, the dog stopped in his tracks, looked confused and then promptly started chasing its owners truck again.

Honestly this probably wasn't the smart thing to do. The smart thing to do is what pp have said, to not look or smile etc. But it happened so fast and it was instinct. I positioned myself in front of DD and was ready to take the dog, a pit no less, on bare fisted. Nobody or nothing messes with my baby!

Good for you for calling the police. I was wishing after it happened that I wrote the liscense plate number down but I just wanted to get DD to the car before the dog changed its mind and came after us again.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast