jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Traveling with infant and toddler - advice please..

I'll be traveling with my mom, DS1 (2 yrs) and DS2 (5 months) this summer. What makes most sense as far as requesting seats for our flights. Will the airline let me put DS2 in the window seat and DS1 on the aisle and me in the middle? Should I book two seats in one row and two seats in the row behind? Or does it make more sense to book three seats in one row and my mom across the aisle? If I do that, will I be able to get DS2 out of his seat to nurse if DS1 is in the middle seat? Am I better off having DS2 travel as a lap child? I prefer that he has his own seat but wondering if having two car seats is going to be a problem. Anyone BTDT? Thoughts? Suggestions? TIA

I believe there is some sort of rule that carseats must be in window seats, so that in the case of evacuation, you aren't trying to climb over/around a carseat. But I could be totally misunderstanding the rule. Personally, I would do 1 kid per adult, assuming your mom is helpful. DC1 by gramma, DC2 with you so that you can nurse easier. Chances are, unless your flight is full, no one will want to finish "filling" your row, and you may have all 3 across even though its just you and DC....
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

jjordan is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is how *I* would do it, but a lot depends on what you want to do.

Also, this is assuming that your mom is physically strong and able to be a big help.

Bring an infant carseat for the baby and use a snap n go (or stroller) to get it through the airport. Bring a carseat for the 2 year old and strap it to another stroller. Each you and your mom can push a stroller. If the 2 yo's seat is strapped in well enough, he can ride in his carseat on the stroller, otherwise use a carrier (sling, Ergo, etc) to carry him while you push a stroller. You shouldn't have to carry any bags; load those up on the strollers.

On the plane, I'd get two seats in two rows, one behind the other. The children can't block anyone from leaving so they'll have to be in window seats if the flight is full. At least the baby will be rearfacing, so put him behind the 2 year old so you're not blocking anyone from reclining their seat.

As far as whether or not you pay for a seat for the baby, it's your call. It will be safer for him to be in a carseat if you have rough turbulence, but then again, flying is so safe (compared to driving) that lap babies rarely have any problems. Of course there is the cost factor to consider. One thing that many people don't know is that if you have a lap baby and the flight isn't fully booked, then you can take a carseat onboard for your lap baby and he can ride in his own seat.

i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents-- if you call and talk to the airline, they can help you pick flights based on what is traditionally not very full. i had lots of good luck taking the FIRST FLIGHT out in the morning with my under 2 year old. i only had to have her on my lap once (but that flight was pretty darn miserable) because it was a connecting leg of a flight that flew through bwi (baltimore) to hartford from st. louis after the NCAA woman's tournament-- so all the flight going that way were very crowded. otherwise, i was always able to get her a seat. the disruption in her routine was worth her having a seat- FOR SURE.

i'm pretty sure that both kids have to be in the windows if they have carseats. you don't have to bring your carseat on if they are over 2, but you probably want to anyhow. good luck! i actually prefer car trips with my toddler. but flying can be okay if you plan for the worst! at least you'll have some help!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    Also, this is assuming that your mom is physically strong and able to be a big help.

Bring an infant carseat for the baby and use a snap n go (or stroller) to get it through the airport. Bring a carseat for the 2 year old and strap it to another stroller. Each you and your mom can push a stroller. If the 2 yo's seat is strapped in well enough, he can ride in his carseat on the stroller, otherwise use a carrier (sling, Ergo, etc) to carry him while you push a stroller. You shouldn't have to carry any bags; load those up on the strollers.

On the plane, I'd get two seats in two rows, one behind the other.

I'd get a seat for the younger one if possible. Also if three across, I usually book the aisle and window and if someone ends up taking the middle I give them the aisle otherwise we get an extra seat. I have good luck if I book the back of the plane.
    HTH
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

-------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This is how we have done it with 2 in the past. When I traveled alone with 2 in carseats I put one in the window and one in the middle and I sat on the end. DD was a baby in her infant bucket (which I would definitely travel with) and I bought both children a seat.

With 4 of us, usually one child sits with each adult (we are either across from each other or in two consecutive rows). THe kids always go in the window seat and we go in the middle.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    This is how we have done it with 2 in the past. When I traveled alone with 2 in carseats I put one in the window and one in the middle and I sat on the end. DD was a baby in her infant bucket (which I would definitely travel with) and I bought both children a seat.

With 4 of us, usually one child sits with each adult (we are either across from each other or in two consecutive rows). THe kids always go in the window seat and we go in the middle.
    Heather,
    Did you put the baby in the middle or the window? I think DS1 will want to be closest to me but will I be able to get DS2 out of his seat when I need to nurse?
    TIA