Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Desk organization for school?

I posted awhile ago about finding a desk organizer for older DD for home.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...desk+organizer

We had a meeting today at school and the teacher indicated that she has a really hard time organizing and finding her materials at school. This causes her serious angst at school when she unable to locate her supplies readily. This is more complicated than the problem at home because she needs to keep several sets of books, folders and papers organized. Honestly, I think it is really just too much stuff, but other kids seems to manage. Or at least they don't complain about it. Sigh.

Anyway hoping to get some good ideas. Maybe teachers have some suggestions?

At first the teacher had her using a banker's box, but she broke it and now all her supplies are in a clear, plastic box with hanging file folders. It's very similar to this one, if not this very one:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-File-...40605:SS253856

I think the problem is when she is in a hurry, she tends to shove things anywhere and then it gets all jumbled and then she can't find things.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

She's in 3rd, right?

What about a folder (and spiral notebook, if applicable) for each subject - the same color as the book she needs for that subject? They should be CLEARLY labeled (like with big, black Sharpie in huge block lettering) on the outside and on the inside. My students' folders used to say "subject" on outside, "works in progress" and "completed work" on the inside. Any reference pages like cursive page or math facts or equivalents could be on the prongs in the middle of the 2pocket 3prong folders. Can she put morning subjects on the left side of the desk and afternoon subjects on the right side? Does she have an agenda/planner to keep her stuff organized?

Labeling is the key. Maybe she already does these kinds of things... Is she not getting enough time to complete a task and change gears? Is she not stopping when the teacher says it is time to switch topics, trying to eek out another minute of work?

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As far as the shoving things everywhere when she's in a hurry, how about having one folder in the box that's labeled "to be filed" or something like that? If she doesn't have time, she can put things in that file and then make sure that the file is emptied by the end of the day.

It's nice that the teacher seems to understand the problem and have some sort of solution.

I like the box, though. As long as it's labeled well and color-coded, I think it should work pretty well.

Maybe some clear plastic boxes to go into the big box to store supplies? Like a clear plastic shoebox like this or something smaller: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/s...uctId=10001753

Yes, she is in third.

They actually have a required color coding system: green folder and notebook for science, yellow folder and notebook for word study, blue for social studies, etc. We have to provide all these supplies in the specified colors at the beginning of the year (which I don't mind doing). Honestly there is just a lot of it. They have 4 colors of subject folders, plus a composition book for a reading journal and a homework folder. There is also a math textbook and their reading book. And a homework agenda. And their "pencil box" of supplies.

So for example, the teacher will say during reading groups "Get out your reading journal" and when she can't find the journal in 2 seconds she gets upset. I think the journal is supposed to be in a hanging file labeled "Reading". But in my observation of her "crate", it is more than likely just stuffed in there somewhere.

The other problem comes at pack up time at the end of the day, when they are pulling out their homework for the night. She often has trouble finding things because she is in a rush to get packed up. She really doesn't have to be in a rush because there is nowhere she needs to be in a hurry, but she rushes anyway and gets flustered.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Sounds kinda like she needs some patient coaching more than a new system. What about teaching her a simple strategy with the teacher's help... like:
    1. listen to the teacher's request
    2. take a deep breath
    3. let out that breath
    4. restate the teacher's request
    5. calmly gather the requested materials
    6. put the materials in the proper place (backpack, desk, turn-in box)
    7. say to yourself, "Good for me. I did it!"

Sounds kinda silly, but it's kinda how "Skillstreaming" a social-skills curriculum we used works. I find that with these kind of reminders posted small, inconspicuously on her deks, will often yield great results in terms of kids internalizing they need to slow down, breathe, and carry out a task.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It sounds that the teacher while well-meaning is more of a neat-nik than your daughter. I say this as another person who's organizationally challenged. Even as a kid I would also just stuff my papers in and wait to put them away later. Later never came and I'd have a mishmash of stuff in my backpack/locker at the end of the year.

Wish I could say it got better as I got older but not by much. Really it is like swimming against the tide for me when all of the tips & tricks that are so easy for everyone else do not make an impact on my own habits.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

Sounds kinda like she needs some patient coaching more than a new system. What about teaching her a simple strategy with the teacher's help... like:
    1. listen to the teacher's request
    2. take a deep breath
    3. let out that breath
    4. restate the teacher's request
    5. calmly gather the requested materials
    6. put the materials in the proper place (backpack, desk, turn-in box)
    7. say to yourself, "Good for me. I did it!"
    OK, I *love* this. This is EXACTLY what she needs. I will think about how to do this and have it be discreet, because she is a little self conscious about needing aids when other kids don't.

We have a small checklist on her desk already of what she needs to remember to bring home (jacket, lunch bag, homework folder, agenda, homework materials) and it was very effective for about a month, but it has lost its effectiveness over time. So we were brainstorming today (the teacher, counselor and DH and I) about how to keep the list "fresh" for her.

It sounds that the teacher while well-meaning is more of a neat-nik than your daughter.
    The amusing thing is while the teacher talks a good game, the fact is this teacher is VERY disorganized. Not good about communication, unclear on expectations, when assigments are due, has lost critical materials and assignments, etc. You can imagine what a great combination that is with my kid LOL!!!

At home we are doing pretty well with keeping her organized, but we have the space to devote to it. If it were me, I would have a separate box (or drawer of a file cabinet) for each subject. But there is not the space to do that at school.
    Last edited by egoldber; 04-26-2010 at 02:34 PM.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh boy so it's more of a do as I say not as I do situation LOL. Sarah reminds me a lot of me as a kid but you guys are doing so much more to equip her than my parents did (and they were good parents). That's quite a leg up for a child and I'm glad to see it.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    OK, I *love* this. This is EXACTLY what she needs. I will think about how to do this and have it be discreet, because she is a little self conscious about needing aids when other kids don't.

We have a small checklist on her desk already of what she needs to remember to bring home (jacket, lunch bag, homework folder, agenda, agenda) and it was very effective for about a month, but it has lost its effectiveness over time. So we were brainstorming today (the teacher, counselor and DH and I) about how to keep the list "fresh" for her.
    Great! I'm glad my sitting on the couch eating snacks and reading BBB instead of packing for our trip is helpful to someone . What about having her redo the old list -on another color of paper, with a fancy pen, with a sticker on it...etc?

ETA: Are the original folders for each subject clearly labeled in bold black caps? Is she still using those at all? Honestly, I do better with folders than hanging files, and I'm org. challenged. With files, stuff can go in front or behind a tab, then fall in between, etc. Folders are just easier IMO.
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 04-26-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The amount of supplies seems typical, but could you duplicate the systems between home and school. If she's looking at the same clear file box at home and next to her classroom desk (or wherever it's kept) maybe she'll build some muscle memory about getting her materials from the same place and returning them there.

I also remember having a folder for each subject like pp. It contained loose papers better than I think a hanging file would for a child.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast