Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default How much for this cake.

This is the cake we want to have made for M"s birthday party. I recieved a quote for it and I was a little shocked. We never had a wedding so I have never had to price them before. What do you think this would cost? I found this online at www.pinkcakebox.com. I wish they were around here.

Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

I'd say several hundred at the very least-maybe headed towards 1,000. Cakes are expensive!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That cake probably costs more than what I spent on both kids for Christmas last year.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It is Hard to see exactly how big it is but I was going to say at least $700.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    I'd say several hundred at the very least-maybe headed towards 1,000. Cakes are expensive!
    I had NOOOO idea they were so expensive. I was quoted $278.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

600 or so I'd guess.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think that $278 is actually a bargain. I was going to guess $300 and I was thinking that my guess was a little low.

Makes you want to take up cake decorating, doesn't it?!

I'd say it's a deal at that and probably won't look but so much like the origional. But hopefully I'm wrong!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Yes - I remember when we were shopping for wedding cakes - they are expensive!

Just a suggestion - see if you have any start-up independent wedding/party cake decorators near you (look on CL or run a CL ad.) Sometimes they will do the cake at a discount, just so they can have a picture for their portfolio. They may not be able to do the exact same design, but it'll probably be similar.
    We talked to someone like this for our wedding. She was willing to do it at half the price of the bakery just so we would give her a testimonial (if we liked it) and she could build up her portfolio.

Or maybe look at culinary/pastry schools nearby for students looking for projects?

ETA - $278 sounds like a pretty good price. It may be worth just doing it. I doubt you'd get someone else much cheaper.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would have said at least $400 so you are getting a deal. How many guests? IIRC it is a huge party. If it is small enough though there are plenty of cool cakes even a novice could make over on Family Fun.

Beth

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast