Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vegan option ideas? WWYCook?

Hello!
    My son is about to turn one, and the backyard party will be a good mix of kids/adults, family/friends. My family eats meat. A good number of our friends do not; in fact, many are vegan. Our menu so far is simple: BBQ pulled pork sandwiches w/ onions/peppers/tomatoes/lettuce; chips, fruit (probably grapes and clementines, not sliced or fruit salad), and probably vegetarian pinto beans. I say probably because I want to add something else but am not sure I want it to be 'fork food'. Also- popscicles, traditional birthday cake, and vegan cupcakes- got the recipe here, they are good!
    Where I am stuck is the vegan option to pork sandwich. The pork comes prepared, all I need to do is thaw and heat in the oven, then put out the tray for guests to serve themselves. Ideally the vegan sandwich would be similar in concept, something that can be prepared ahead of time then reheated and served in a similar foil pan. Thinking like a sloppy joe, but what would I use instead of ground meat? Veggie burgers or faux chicken patties are another option, but I am afraid they will not be good when prepared in quantity then left to sit out. Plus they can be expensive.
    Any feedback is much appreciated. Also, ideas for a side dish to replace the beans, that you can eat with your hands are welcomed!
    TIA!
    -Sara

DD- Veronica, 6/26/06 future astronaut/ princess
    DS- Oliver, 5/1/09 looking spiffy in his DOCband

Veggie chili? Or veg fajitas?
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Not sure if this would do...but what about some grilled veggies to put in a sandwich like the pulled pork? I'm thinking eggplant rounds, peppers, onions, portabello mushrooms. They can be grilled ahead of time and be reheated or served at room temp.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How about a tofu salad sandwich? I LOVE these - grilled tofu with a light marinade, peppers, sprouts, lettuce, etc fixings that you have on the pork sandwich, and if you can find some mint to throw in as well, you're golden!

for Sandy Hook

DIY Bean Burritos w/tofu cheddar, cilantro, rice, etc.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Grilled Veggie Kabobs. Maybe avacado sandwiches.

If you want to make sloppy joe TVP (textured vegetable protein) is a substitute for ground beef.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Veggie chili sounds good!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

i think your best bet is vegetarian chili-- i would do black bean. (epicurious.com has some good ones) i would probably have some tortillas, avacados, cheese (for those who aren't vegan, though there is vegan cheese so maybe that too?) in case people want to make a burrito like thing-- maybe some mexican rice too? (more burrito like and can sop up the chili juices) i don't think it would be too hard to have this as "fork food" (if people just wanted a bowl of chili) since you are already having the pinto beans, so not everything is grab and go anyhow.

Well, you guys have given me some great ideas. I don't know yet what we'll do, but DH & I now have a few ideas to think about!
    -Sara

DD- Veronica, 6/26/06 future astronaut/ princess
    DS- Oliver, 5/1/09 looking spiffy in his DOCband

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast