Default Fake organic products

http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/index.cfm

<H5>BOYCOTT THESE FAKE "ORGANIC" BRANDS

Click on the links below to be taken to each brand's entry in the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetics Safety Review Database where you'll find a hazard score for each product and ingredient.
    </H5>
    Last edited by BabyMine; 04-27-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I already knew about some of these, others were a surprise. Thanks for the link.

Love your siggie, btw!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't really think this is all that shocking. I would never just trust one brand to have all their products being 100% safe. You have to check out each product individually. Like Desert Essence for instance-- TJ's sells their face wash and jojoba oil that I use and they score an excellent 0 and 1 on the skin deep website. But I wouldn't use their shea butter body scrub that scores a 7. I've also used Earth's Best mineral sunscreen before since it scores a low rating of 2.

If I look at a product's label and it has 50 ingredients listed, many of which I can't even pronounce, I'm not going to buy it, whether it's labeled "organic" or not.
    Last edited by essnce629; 04-27-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

While I'm glad you posted this, I'd like to point out that entry 3 is misleading. People might think it has to do with Earth's Best organic baby food, and I think that would be a shame.

It actually refers to
    JASON NATURAL COSMETICS EARTH'S BEST: EVERY DAY LOTION - LAVENDER
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I don't really think this is all that shocking. I would never just trust one brand to have all their products being 100% safe. You have to check out each product individually. Like Desert Essence for instance-- TJ's sells their face wash and jojoba oil that I use and they score an excellent 0 and 1 on the skin deep website. But I wouldn't use their shea butter body scrub that scores a 7. I've also used Earth's Best mineral sunscreen before since it scores a low rating of 2.
    Agreeing. I like Giovanni 50/50 and am okay with the rating of 3. Not perfect but I prefer it to some of the other (more "safe" rated shampoos). I check each product individually for ingredients, etc. and don't rely on any one brand. "organic" in cosmetics/personal care products has always been a touchy subject because it isn't tightly regulated. I personally think it is kind of misleading but still buy many of the "organic" products only because I like their ingredients on the whole organic or not (and I avoid many of the "organic" personal care products because I don't like their ingredients).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    While I'm glad you posted this, I'd like to point out that entry 3 is misleading. People might think it has to do with Earth's Best organic baby food, and I think that would be a shame.

It actually refers to
    Thank you for posting this clarification. This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Earth's Best listing.
    DD
    DS

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Thank you for posting this clarification. This was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Earth's Best listing.
    me too! thanks!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post

It actually refers to
    I edited it out.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan