Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about if you had him sit on an exercise ball instead?

Here is a newspaper article about it: http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...s-chairs_N.htm

I really hate the focus on little kids (active boys in particular) needing to 'sit still' at such a young age, and the solution above seems to meet the needs of the teacher and students well.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Just wanted to make a plug for magnatiles, pattern blocks, and unit blocks as fun ways to introduce math concepts.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    What about if you had him sit on an exercise ball instead?

Here is a newspaper article about it: http://www.usatoday.com/news/educati...s-chairs_N.htm

I really hate the focus on little kids (active boys in particular) needing to 'sit still' at such a young age, and the solution above seems to meet the needs of the teacher and students well.
    Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. It's something to try at home but I honestly can't see this going over well at his school.

His K teacher is actually really great and agrees that todays schools are not designed for active little boys. She is also one of the grade 1 teachers and I hope that DS gets her next year because I think that her style of teaching and understanding of different kids needs is so perfect for him. However, she explained that at our school (private, not an option to switch schools at this point) there is still an expectation that the kids sit at their desks at least part of the time. DS doesn't cause trouble, just needs to be standing or walking around. She thinks that his mind is just constantly moving and thinking quickly and he responds to it by keeping his body in motion. In fact it doesn't surprise me because DS is extremely similar to FIL and FIL was known for never sitting still.

My goal for the summer is to try and get him used to sitting while he works on something he enjoys for short periods of time. Even if it's not the best way for him to learn, I think it is a skill that he will have to get used to, given the circumstances. I would prefer to help him learn the skill myself than to have him go into grade 1 and be overwhelmed and act out as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by kristac View Post
    Just wanted to make a plug for magnatiles, pattern blocks, and unit blocks as fun ways to introduce math concepts.
    Yes, Magnatiles are a huge hit here.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by baileygirl View Post
    I don't have one for my kids (too young), but if they were older I would consider getting them a FlashMaster. You can see reviews for it on amazon.com.
    Sorry, I actually meant to post this on the other math thread, not yours. For math you might look at something like a book "Family Math". Or look up Funtastic Frogs on Rainbow Resource. PP mentioned unit blocks, legos, etc, you might want to look at something like Mighty Mind or puzzles too.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ikea has an abacus for $9.99 that I was thinking of getting my kids to help with math. I think they will think it's fun! Not exactly sure how to use it though!

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD's K class does math "games" involving cards and dice. For example - one game the kids role 2 dice, add the numbers, and record the answer on a worksheet under the number the dice add up to. The kids do simple addition and are introduced to basic probability at the same time.

Other "games" use unit blocks - adding or taking away units according to a role of the dice.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD#1 is similar -- in K and easily able to do G3 math if we let her.

We have got her doing Sudoku puzzles instead of workbooks. Her teacher liked this idea. Frankly, I can't do even basic Sudoku, but she loves it.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

thomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not really a math idea but...
    I teach gr.1 and my fidgety kids benefit from sitting on a sit cushion. Or even rolling up a sweatshirt or coat and sitting on that helps. They get to move around but they're still in their chair.

Kim
    ds&dd- almost 7!

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    We have got her doing Sudoku puzzles instead of workbooks. Her teacher liked this idea. Frankly, I can't do even basic Sudoku, but she loves it.
    Interesting idea. Does she do regular Sudoku or is there a kid's version? MIL loves Sudoku. She would be thrilled to show DS how to do them. I tried it once and gave up.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    Interesting idea. Does she do regular Sudoku or is there a kid's version? MIL loves Sudoku. She would be thrilled to show DS how to do them. I tried it once and gave up.

Adult version. FIL started doing them with DD#1, now she does them on her own. DH got her a book at Chapters.

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2