Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Remind me again what to pack for hospital bag? Snacks for labor?

So I have the baby's homecoming outfit, couple of nursing bras, underwear, robe and a pair of swim trunks for DH on my list.

Remind me again what else is good to pack for the hospital bag? What did you wear during labor and after? I remember wearing their robe during labor and mine after, but I'd love to wear "regular" clothes after, although I suspect that jeans/pants with a waistband wouldn't feel that great.

Will need to pack toiletries as well. Any specific toiletries or items you found indispensable?

For those of you who ate during labor, what snacks did you eat/pack? I'm trying to think of light on the stomach, high energy snacks that would be OK in early labor (I'm vegetarian) to keep on hand at home and in hospital bag. Thanks!

for Sandy Hook

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I always wore yoga pants and a t-shirt.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Luna Bars? Fruit? Applesauce?
    I used an online checklist, Babycenter I think and used what worked for me. My hospital let me eat, I had French Toast and eggs the day I delivered, and I was on pit(since 2am). I checked in noon Friday and delivered 4:58 Sat. evening. Do they have DVD players? Movies are nice. I delivered to Aerosmith, so CD's, too. Bring your own toiletries, for sure.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had to send my mom out to get some baby socks for DS after he was born, but still in the hospital. His feet were freezing for some reason, and he wouldn't stay wrapped up in a swaddle. I didn't have this issue with DD, just DS. I'd take some just in case.

Oh, also food for DH! Good to keep up DH's energy in case labor takes a while, and he doesn't want to leave your side.
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My birth center recommends any foods that you enjoyed during the early part of pregnancy. . . they say sometimes things that worked for you then work best at labor too.

A friend of mine got me nice warm fluffy socks to wear during labor/delivery that I really enjoyed. . . she was right when she said MY feet would get cold. And after the baby was here, when I wanted to take them off, the nurse said that was a good/appropriate sign. I enjoyed having my slippers, too.

I'm taking a separate outfit for "first pictures" of the LO, and of course my own camera & cell phone.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Glizmo is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    I'm taking a separate outfit for "first pictures" of the LO, and of course my own camera & cell phone.
    And your cell phone charger, if you're like me and it's never charged when you need it!
    Liz

DD1 5/08 "Little bug"
    DD2 10/10 "Little bee"

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Slippers for sure, plus shoes for in the shower. I came home with athlete's foot after delivering DD. I underpacked last time and found I'd prefer to have my own stuff rather than the hospital's.

Here's my list for take two:

- food: popsicles; whatever snacks DH chooses for himself; chicken broth; crackers; prunes

- folder with copies of birth plan for midwife and doula, preprinted hospital registration form and list of contact info for DH to announce new arrival; pen; wallet with ID, some cash and change (for DH to use in vending machines), insurance card

- socks for me and baby; robe; loose fitting maternity jammies; soft nursing bras; stretchiest undies

- breast pads, big honkin' Kotex pads

- shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, hairbrush/comb, q-tips, chapstick, deodorant, lotion, hair ties and clips, contact case/solution, glasses case, (maybe tweezers & razor)

- small desk fan (white noise helps drown out some noise outside the room); phone charger; magazine/book

- extra bag to take home the free stuff from the hospital (as suggested by hospital's nurses last time)

Because this is a lot, I'm going to have a separate going-home bag packed and ready on the dresser so DH can just grab it and bring it back to the hospital with him. He won't be sleeping there after the baby comes, so he's agreed to take things home/bring things back as needed. Video and digital cameras will come and go with DH.

your own, nice, soft toilet paper. scratchy stuff the hospital provides, not so nice after childbirth.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yoga pants and a shirt for me too for postpartum. During labor I wore a tank top and undies (no gowns at the birth center).

Birth plan, iPod with labor playlist, camera, sports drink, crackers, baby book page for footprints, and extra stuff for dh (clothes and toiletries).

Beth

Ditto PP, but instead of yoga pants and a T, I wore a maternity dress home. It was an empire waist line and was super comfortable and easy to get on.

We way overpacked the first time w/DD1 (think an entire trunk-load of stuff that took DH 2 trips to bring up to the room). We got it just right the second time. We actually loaded up on non-perishable food that DH could eat (and I could snack during early labor when the nurses weren't in the room!) like salt and vinegar kettle chips (YUMMY!), crusty French bread, Italian salami, etc. I would have loved to have had some cheese, but no mini-fridge to keep it in....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast