Default Playdate protocol

DD is nearly 3 yo and we've just started going on playdates. I'm not sure what the "rules" are for playdates, especially when it comes to food. If the playdate starts at 11am, should the host provide lunch? Should the guest bring something? What if it's earlier, should a guest feel obligated to bring something (I always feel like I should)? And in the afternoon, should the guest bring a snack or expect the host to provide something.

How long should it typically last? I don't want to overstay my welcome.

Any other playdate tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Usually I would mention the food/meal issue when planning the playdate so you re onthe same page with the other mom. I would also ask about allergies. I almost always bring some kind of snack to a first time playdate just to be courteous. I would assume for an 11 am playdate the host would provide lunch unless the guest offered to bring it. I tried to limit playdates between 2-3 hours at that age.
    SAHM to:

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I always ask. If we are going to a house where I know they have food allergies, I just admit that I am not comfortable bringing food into the house due to cross contamination issues and would they prefer to provide food or meet at a non food time.

Otherwise, I bring food and I always offer.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

11 is a totally awkward playdate time. We always did 10-12ish and people parted to have lunch. In your case I would just ask.

1.5-3 hours is normal for playdates at that age. Be prepared to go if the kiddos seem to be cracking sooner than that.

Beth