Default Dud Dyson or User Error?

So I bought a Dyson DC14 All Floors last night. I put it together this afternoon after reading the directions, then turned it on and started to vacuum in my living room. We have old Berber carpet and a smallish (5x8) area rug (because the Berber is so rough and stained).

The vacuum did just fine on the carpet setting on the actual carpet, but as soon as I started vacuuming the rug, it made this horrendous screeching noise. I turned it off the carpet setting and onto the bare floors setting and the noise stopped, but I could.not.push the vacuum forward at all (that's some powerful suction!). I vacuumed the rug with the carpet setting pulling it backward with no noise, but if I tried to push it forward...oh my, the screeching!

The thing that has me confused is that I had absolutely no problems vacuuming the small doormat (maybe 2x3).

Do I have a dud or am I doing something wrong?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I always to my rugs on the bare floors setting for this reason and it seems to clean well. I think the screeching is from when the fibers of the rug arre pulled up into the "brush" spinner thing. The suction is quite powerful and the noise is only a warning that something will get stuck. That has been my experience at least.

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Also, is your small doormat somehow heavier weight than the larger rug? That could make a diiference. As for the direction making a difference, I don't really know as I haven't noticed that myself.

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have the DC07 and it did the same thing. I called Dyson and they had me remove this rubber strip in the front near the brush. It is specific to the suction on area rugs. I know it sounds weird but once I removed this one rubber strip I have never had the sound again and it hasn't affected the effectiveness of the vacuum at all. So, I would call Dyson and they will walk you through the rubber-strip removal process .
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Most rugs need the bare floors setting for some odd reason.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)