Thread: iPad speakers

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default iPad speakers

Hi all. i wanted to get your feedback for those who had to get the new ipad. i wanted to get a room radio/cd/ipod player for dd's playroom and settled on the bose wave radio, but got an reminder about the ipad launch so i decided to do some research.

Bose Wave Radio with ipod dock - 600
    ipad 3g version with dock and case - 700

we were also discussing of buying a portable dvd player since we will be traveling quite a bit with dd. it would be nice to nice to have access to a "pc" if we wanted to check email or use it a gps system in rentals.

do you think the ipad will hold up to abuse from a 14 month old with supervision and without when she is older? will it do what i need it to do? or would i be better with separate components?

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just got an ipad (non 3g). we have had 2 iphones (one is old first generation, one is 3g) since DS was born. He's a big user of the phones. We had a case for ours that prevented him from touching the screen when he watched it (an iskin case with hard clear plastic cover over the touchscreen--love this case) when he was younger. Now at 22 months he loves playing with the screen (we let him play with it when we are out to eat or I'm shopping and he's in his stroller--prevents meltdowns!). He can even pick out movies that he wants to watch. I think at 22 months he'd be fine with the ipad, at 14 months I'd have let him watch it. In both cases I'd be close by. DS sometimes tosses things aside when he's done with it, that's what I'd worry about. Get a good case for it.

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our kids use our iphones and ipads a lot, but are quite a bit older. I don't think an iPad is a great replacement for an iPod w/ Speaker Docks though b/c I don't think the speakers are that great. We haven't gotten a stand or case for ours yet b/c I'm waiting to see what comes out in terms of accessories...
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

IMO, that is a lot of money to spend on something that will most likely be cheaper and better next year, especially for a 14 month old.

My sons (5-1/2 and just turned 2) LOVE to play on our phones. I have games for both of them. We also watch YouTube on there. We use our phones as GPS, check email, internet, etc. I'm not sure why you would need an iPad for that? We also use our phones as radio, I use Pandora mostly and DH uses some radio ap. I use the audio cable to hook it up to my stereo system in the car and can do that at home as well.

I guess I'm not seeing what the iPad brings here. Or do you not have smart phones? It just seems somewhat unwieldy. Or maybe that just means I need a bigger purse?

Of course, we are still travelling (for flights >3 hours or so) with our portable DVD player, so perhaps we are a bit outdated.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Quote Originally Posted by peanut520 View Post
    do you think the ipad will hold up to abuse from a 14 month old with supervision and without when she is older? will it do what i need it to do? or would i be better with separate components?
    Not really. I don't think an ipad would be easy for a DC that young to hold. We don't let our girls hold ours, but they do hold my old iphone. It seems like they wouldn't be able to get a good grip.

Why not take her to the Apple store, and let her play around with it, see if she can hold it well.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by jenmcadams View Post
    Our kids use our iphones and ipads a lot, but are quite a bit older. I don't think an iPad is a great replacement for an iPod w/ Speaker Docks though b/c I don't think the speakers are that great. We haven't gotten a stand or case for ours yet b/c I'm waiting to see what comes out in terms of accessories...
    well i was going to get the dock so i guess i could get a set of cheap powered speakers and leave them attached to the dock for her play room.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post
    IMO, that is a lot of money to spend on something that will most likely be cheaper and better next year, especially for a 14 month old.

My sons (5-1/2 and just turned 2) LOVE to play on our phones. I have games for both of them. We also watch YouTube on there. We use our phones as GPS, check email, internet, etc. I'm not sure why you would need an iPad for that? We also use our phones as radio, I use Pandora mostly and DH uses some radio ap. I use the audio cable to hook it up to my stereo system in the car and can do that at home as well.

I guess I'm not seeing what the iPad brings here. Or do you not have smart phones? It just seems somewhat unwieldy. Or maybe that just means I need a bigger purse?

Of course, we are still travelling (for flights >3 hours or so) with our portable DVD player, so perhaps we are a bit outdated.
    My husband and i both have blackberry that she absolutely love to fumble around with. we have actually given her both our olds ones and she carries them around our house. we weren't looking to bring it out with us daily only on family vacations (4-5 times a year). i was just thinking that i was looking to buy a new radio for her playroom (500.00-600.00?) and a portable dvd player (100.00?) and it was about the same cost as the ipad so i was thinking i would have one thing that could be a multi-tasker. i figured use it as a second personal laptop and picture frame at home that with the 3g version we could get apps while out and about and we would be about to leave the macbook at home since it would be smaller and lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Not really. I don't think an ipad would be easy for a DC that young to hold. We don't let our girls hold ours, but they do hold my old iphone. It seems like they wouldn't be able to get a good grip.

Why not take her to the Apple store, and let her play around with it, see if she can hold it well.
    that is a fabulous idea! i think i'll take her over the weekend and see how she does. it will be so new to her since we are a blackberry family and dont have iphones. i'm sure she'll figure it out quickly.