Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default dumb question of the day - pls explain baked oatmeal

i've seen the threads on recipes for baked oatmeal, but i've never had it and i would love to know a little more about its consistency and how it is eaten?... is it solid/formed? or mushy? is it appropriate for a 13 months old? is it something you have to eat the day you make it? or does it keep?

thanks
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

I'm so glad you posted this. I've wondered about baked oatmeal, too, after reading a post on here. I'm not even clear on whether it's supposed to be a breakfast type food or more of a sweet treat. Or is it both? Please enlighten!

kristenk is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Last week, I finally made my first successful batch of baked oatmeal. I had tried before, but my ratio of liquid/oatmeal must have been off and it just wasn't pleasant. Last week's batch, however, was fabulous.

DH and I eat it for breakfast or as a snack. DD likes to have it after school. Last week's batch had blueberries in it and this week's batch was a combo of raspberries and blueberries. I make a half batch at a time in a 9" square pyrex. My last two batches have been close to a cake consistency. I like to microwave servings for about 15-30 seconds to warm them up.

The first batch I made long, long ago was more mushy. That doesn't work for our family, I guess. No one was all that into it.

I'm not positive on refrigeration. I kept last week's batch in the fridge, but forgot to stick this week's batch in so it stayed on the counter. I think that refrigeration might be a function of whether you go with a custardy or cake-like version.

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mine have come out moister than cake, with a coarser crumb. I'm down to two eggs and a cup of milk, trying to get a slightly drier texture. What I love about it is that I make a 9x13 pan, stick it in the fridge, and that's breakfast taken care of for the whole week. DH gets up, microwaves two squares, and pours OJ while I'm in the shower. The boys love it and so far I've changed flavors every week and they don't get bored.

It's got fiber, protein from the milk and eggs, good fats from the egg yolks, and fruit. When I have some for breakfast it's filling enough to keep me going until lunch. For a quick convenient breakfast that my DH is willing to prepare, it is by far the healthiest option I've found. I wish I had tried it two years ago!
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mine is thick, dense, and cuttable. We call it cake, it is crumbly and kind of messy but we love it. I keep it in a brownie pan with a lid in the fridge and we eat it all week. We have it about 90% of our mornings for breakfast. The girls love it. I've gone out of town and taken a pan and it is great to have breakfast ready to go. I love carbs myself, so having any kind of bread/cake type item that is so healthy and flour-free is a breakfast dream come true.

I tried making a batch last week (after the big thread on here) and it turned out with a pasty, heavy consistency. The kids took one bite and refused to eat more. Even DH didn't like it - and the man will eat nearly anything. I ended up throwing away nearly an entire batch, which I was bummed about because it seemed like a waste of a lot of ingredients.

I'd like to try again, but would love VERY specific instructions about what kind of oatmeal (quick vs. old fashion), exactly how much milk, what kind of yogurt (I used Greek style, so that might have contributed to my problems), etc. My kids are not big on fruit mix-ins and we have nut allergies, so if anyone has ideas for other additions (cinnamon/sugar? chocolate chips?) I'd love to hear them.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Thank you for posting this question!

I'm always looking for a healthy snack that doesn't have to be kept cold. Especially now as we're coming into summer. So, it sounds like some refrigerate & some don't. Right? Would it be OK to take a few pieces, put into a baggie in the diaper bag and be out & about all day?
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've only made 2 batches now, but both came out pretty much the same - if cut out hot from the oven, it is not able or barely able to hold all of its shape. When being cut from the fridge, it holds its shape fine and looks like a piece of cake. But it is very moist and thick, so not cake-like in consistency in that way. Reheated, it holds its shape.

I have been taking it as a 5pm snack for work - very filling and keeps me from rushing home after a 12-hour shift and eating everything in sight.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mine comes out like a very moist oat cake. I cut off hunks, nuke it for 45 seconds and then drizzle about 1/4-/1/2 cup of milk over each one. Totally tastes like dessert. My husband likes it without the extra milk.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

if cut out hot from the oven, it is not able or barely able to hold all of its shape. When being cut from the fridge, it holds its shape fine and looks like a piece of cake. But it is very moist and thick, so not cake-like in consistency in that way. Reheated, it holds its shape.
    This is what mine is like. I have found that the amount of initial moisture doesn't matter, but the amount of moisture added at the end just before baking does. The basic recipe calls for 4 eggs and 1-2 cups milk. I used 2 eggs and 1 cup milk. If you add a lot of fruit (especially fresh or frozen) it will also make it very moist. I don't like it very sweet, so I only add about 1/3 cup sugar. So it is highly adjustable and you can tweak it to how you like it.

After mine cools, I cut it into chunks and freeze half and put half in the refrigerator. I eat a square at work each day around 9 as my "second breakfast".
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast