Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've made this twice and sadly, nobody like it but me. And I definitely do NOT need to eat a 9x13 pan of anything all by myself!
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'm generally the only one who eats it in our house too. DH likes it OK but is not a big fan. My younger DD likes it, but DH doesn't like to feed it to her for whatever reason. This is why I freeze half. It takes me about a week to eat half the pan, then I usually eat something else for a week and then eat the other half over the course of a week. So I really only make it about once a month.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I made it and there were no takers. I ate some of it but wasn't really excited to do so.

I like the idea of it, though.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine comes out very moist - thicker than instant oatmeal, and definitely not cake-like. I use frozen fruit (a lot of it, the more the better lol) which increases the moisture content a lot, and contributes to the looser texture. I'm pretty much the only one who eats it. DS2 did at one time but then stopped. In a few months, I'll probably start making it again and see if DDs will eat it; right now, they'll eat pretty much anything that lands on their tray!

I make a 9x13 pan and refrigerate it, eating it throughout the week for breakfast.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I'd like to try again, but would love VERY specific instructions about what kind of oatmeal (quick vs. old fashion), exactly how much milk, what kind of yogurt (I used Greek style, so that might have contributed to my problems), etc. My kids are not big on fruit mix-ins and we have nut allergies, so if anyone has ideas for other additions (cinnamon/sugar? chocolate chips?) I'd love to hear them.
    I'll take a shot at this, but I'm a newbie at baked oatmeal (aka oatmeal cake in our house).

I make a half batch in an 8" square pyrex glass pan.

2.5 cups of old fashioned oats
    1 cup of stonyfield low-fat organic yogurt (vanilla b/c that's what we have)
    1 cup of warm water

I mix the above together the night before and leave it in the fridge b/c I just feel weird leaving it out on the counter overnight.

The next day, I add:
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup of sugar or brown sugar (I've done both)
    1/2 cup of applesauce (in place of oil)
    1.5 tsp. cinnamon
    1.5 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. vanilla

After the above is mixed with the oatmeal mixture, I add:
    1 cup of milk
    1 cup of frozen berries

I bake the whole thing for about 1 hour b/c I prefer a cakey consistency.

If I don't have time to mix the oatmeal the night before, I think that I'd adjust the recipe by not adding quite as much milk (maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup instead of a full cup)

I'm not much help for other mix-ins. We're happily stuck on a blueberry/raspberry combo. I've been very tempted to make a raspberry/chocolate chip combo, though!

Have you tried to use very small pieces of fruit? I used teeny wild blueberries in ours and DD didn't have a problem.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just made this tonight, to refrigerate for the week. When it was in the oven, I realized that I had totally forgotten to add any milk, so I thought it was going to be terrible. Not so. I just tasted a small piece after I put DD to bed. Yum. I guess because I threw in a lot of frozen berries, they added enough moisture to make up the difference, because it's definitely on the moist side, at least now, about 3 hours after coming out of the oven. I had also used 2 c. yogurt before I realized that I only had 4 cups of oatmeal, not 5. The fact that the recipe seems flexibe makes it all the better.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Quote Originally Posted by kristenk View Post
    I'll take a shot at this, but I'm a newbie at baked oatmeal (aka oatmeal cake in our house).

I make a half batch in an 8" square pyrex glass pan.

2.5 cups of old fashioned oats
    1 cup of stonyfield low-fat organic yogurt (vanilla b/c that's what we have)
    1 cup of warm water

I mix the above together the night before and leave it in the fridge b/c I just feel weird leaving it out on the counter overnight.

The next day, I add:
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup of sugar or brown sugar (I've done both)
    1/2 cup of applesauce (in place of oil)
    1.5 tsp. cinnamon
    1.5 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. vanilla

After the above is mixed with the oatmeal mixture, I add:
    1 cup of milk
    1 cup of frozen berries

I bake the whole thing for about 1 hour b/c I prefer a cakey consistency.

If I don't have time to mix the oatmeal the night before, I think that I'd adjust the recipe by not adding quite as much milk (maybe 1/2 - 3/4 cup instead of a full cup)

I'm not much help for other mix-ins. We're happily stuck on a blueberry/raspberry combo. I've been very tempted to make a raspberry/chocolate chip combo, though!

Have you tried to use very small pieces of fruit? I used teeny wild blueberries in ours and DD didn't have a problem.
    THANK YOU!!! I will try again next week. You're the best!!
    Green Tea, mom to three

What temperature do you bake it at?

Thanks!

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by graciebellesmomma View Post
    What temperature do you bake it at?

Thanks!
    I bake it at 350.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2