Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i just remembered something from everybody loves raymond might help. raymond told his wife that they needed to find a house an hour away from his parents so that it would be far enough that they wouldn't visit more than once a week and close enough that they wouldn't have to stay overnight when visiting.

i think that is actually very good advice.

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by salsah View Post
    i just remembered something from everybody loves raymond might help. raymond told his wife that they needed to find a house an hour away from his parents so that it would be far enough that they wouldn't visit more than once a week and close enough that they wouldn't have to stay overnight when visiting.

i think that is actually very good advice.
    And then they ended up living across the street from Raymond's family. LOL I could not do it. But I do think an hour is a decent buffer.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    And then they ended up living across the street from Raymond's family. LOL I could not do it. But I do think an hour is a decent buffer.
    Interestingly, we lived down the street from my maternal grandparents as kids, in the same block. I seriously think got together with my paternal grandparents, who lived almost 2 hours away, just as often. My maternal grandmother was really a doozy, though, so I think that had a lot to do with it, but I think there was also an element of being so close that it was the opposite of absence making the heart grow fonder, if that makes any sense.

There are two houses for sale in my parents' block right now. I love them dearly, but I can't do it. They're not crazy enough to avoid (not crazy at all, actually), but I don't need my mom in my business 24/7. She seems to be able to accomplish that very well from 45 minutes away right now.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4