Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which online dating site?

My mom and I want to get my sister set up on an online dating site. I know a bunch of you have met your spouses online and was wondering if you had a preference.

She is 25 and looking for a LTR. (if that matters)
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

I know of three people meeting on E-Harmony and getting married. Match.com seems to provide a lot of access to people and lots of dates and meetings, but I have yet to see a relationship "go the distance" with it.

HTH

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DH and I met on match.com but we were actually going to the same church already and didn't know one another. We're celebrating 5 years this year. Our friends who met on eHarmony have been married a little bit longer. I was NOT into trying it, but at the urging of friends, I caved.

E-Harmony-- I know 1 couple that married from meeting here.

Plenty of Fish.com-- GREAT for getting some dates to meet new people. This is where my XH met his current SO.

Match.com-- I'm going to a baby shower today. This is where they met!

My confession. I met my SO on craigslist. Yep. Craigslist. Its also where my sister met her husband. If she does CL, she needs to be very specific! A lot of people are looking for a lot less than an LTR. In mine, I pointed out that I am a single Christian mama who would prefer to do things "traditionally"--then had to spell that out, along with the things I would and wouldn't be okay with. I was able to make it cute-- it was a letter to Santa. I just spent 20 minutes trying to hunt down a copy of my posting there, but can't find it. Bummer, because it was FANTASTIC!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I only know of one friend that has tried E-Harmony, and he has not had any luck with it. It is a big time commitment on the computer, answering essay-type questions back and forth before you get phone contact. (According to him, anyone who has used it may disagree. He is on the computer all day at work and didn't want to do it at night)
    I have many friends who met and married through match.com. A few of them are on 2nd babies now and it seems to be working.
    My skewed poll is that match seems better.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Match.com--I have one friend who has had two marriages and two divorces thanks to Match.com; however, I am going to a wedding next month for a daughter of a co-worker who met someone there.

J-date--Basically Match.com for Jewish people. I have quite a few friends who found great guys on this site, both Jewish and non-Jewish.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

I actually met my DH 12 years ago playing an online game (Microsoft Age of Empires)...does she like games (even card games).? it's a great way to meet new people online for shy folks.

I think you have to be careful with the dating sites. My best friend joined one a couple of times and enlisted me to help... the VAST majority were weirdos or married men looking to get laid. (95%).

I set her up with TWO user IDs. The first one was real (my friend as she really is, looking for a relationship). The second one was a phony (my friend as a party girl, looking for sex and good times). You'd be SHOCKED at how many people emailed user id #1 and said "i want a relationship blah blah blah" and ALSO emailed user id #2 and said "I just want casual sex, let's get it on"!

You have to be really sneaky these days. Fool them before they fool your sister.

Default Match.com plus common sense

My husband and I met on match.com.

There are a lot of good and bad outcomes with online dating whichever site you choose. A lot of it boils down to common sense and caution.

My good friend met her DH on Match. I helped write the profile and she had me sign to look through the guys. It's a lot of work! A key thing is not to prolong the e-mail correspondence. Talking on the phone tells you a lot. Be really clear in posting about wanting LTR, wanting a family, etc.... Online dating is a great way to meet people and to help a person get themselves ready to be in an LTR.

DH and I met on Match.com. But we also knew people in common and happened to find each other on another site as well.

Most of my friends have recently met on e-Harmony.
    Michelle
    Miss E: 2/25/2010
    Baby Noname: EDD 10/10/2016
    Naughty kitties: Leo, Billy, and Dora

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast