Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I know for us, we always do a small family celebration on the actual day even if the party itself is another day, so that does play into it in my mind.

I disagree with the PP that the actual day is not important. Its more important *to me* than the party. I have found that especially with the 1st b-day, while its not a big deal to the child, it IS a big deal to me -- thinking back to the birth and all, what the past year has been like, etc. Like I said, *I* would be distracted on the day, regardless of when the party was.

JMHO.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    The actual day is more important *to me* than the party. I have found that especially with the 1st b-day, while its not a big deal to the child, it IS a big deal to me -- thinking back to the birth and all, what the past year has been like, etc.
    exactly.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I truly appreciate all the respectful yet honest opinions.
    I have been thinking about this quite a bit after reading your replies, asking myself if I would regret making the work trip, taking into consideration how I might be distracted and thinking about DS, and reflecting on his first year.
    But I am not feeling the usual torn feeling that I get for decisions like this. And speaking for myself and my family only, I think it will be ok to go.
    I am actually a very sensitive and emotional person, and can get myself into tears thinking about my kids, how much I love them, how much they have grown up, etc. So it's not that I don't get emotional, because I do.
    But I feel like we will still have our celebration and it won't be something we look back on and regret.

On a side note, when I first said ok to the trip, I was thinking that DS's birthday was May 5th and not May 4th. We had joked all along that he would probably be born on Cinco de Mayo, because DD was born on St. Patrick's Day and it was a sort of joke that I would have both of my kids on what amounts to drinking holidays. He was a day early though.
    But even after I realized his birthday was actually on the 4th I still was not thinking it would be a huge deal to go, as I originally posted.
    DD
    DS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3