Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Is it a big deal to go out of town on DS's birthday?

Honest opinion:
    I was asked to do a work trip next week, just a one day thing to our SB office, but it falls on DS's first birthday. When I first said I could do it, it didn't seem like that big of a deal.
    But now I feel like I should be home for that. I don't have anything planned but maybe we can do a little cake or something.
    We do have a small party planned for next Saturday to celebrate with family and a few friends possibly.

I could back out. I am also scheduled to go up to the office the following week too.

What do you think?
    DD
    DS

It wouldn't bother me and your DS certainly won't notice. Missing the party would be a big deal, but the actual day of his birthday...it wouldn't matter to me.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

*I* probably wouldn't do it because my job requires me to be 100% focused and I think I would be distracted on that day, especially if it were out of town.

I would only do it if there was no choice or I was needed to pinch hit for a co-worker who was sick or something....

I think it really depends, though. My DH would probably do it and not even worry about it.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I think it was my DH who was like, "you are going to be gone on his birthday?!?!"
    I just really have trouble gauging what is acceptable in regards to birthday ettiquete. I only realize now as an adult that my parents just never made a big deal out of birthdays but most people do.
    I never really had parties or anything.
    DD
    DS

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JoyNChrist View Post
    It wouldn't bother me and your DS certainly won't notice. Missing the party would be a big deal, but the actual day of his birthday...it wouldn't matter to me.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Wouldn't bother me.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JoyNChrist View Post

at that age (1 year) i don't think it's a big deal to not be there on the actual day. i think it would be different it was like a 5-year old, but at 1 year of age i'm pretty sure they're not going to notice

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Imo, I think that in the future you might look back and wonder why you made the choice not to spend that special day together. I know he won't know but you will. But, I don't know if I personally would feel that bad. I just know a friend recently had to make this exact choice and opted to stay home with her ds b/c he only gets one 1st b-day. I thought it was a fair point.

Beth

Thanks everyone. You have helped me get the perspective that I really lack on this topic.
    I do think it would be a bigger deal when he is older but at 1, I don't think being gone on the actual day will matter much, especially since we are having the party for him too.
    DD
    DS

Yeah, next year and beyond, I think it will be more important. But this year...he certainly won't care. Plus, you'll be there when you're having the party. No worries.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast