Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our daycare told me they were not allowed to have any of those types of devices (swings, exersaucers, bouncy seats) The only things they had were Bumbo seats on the ground.

I mention this because it indicates there could be good reasons not to use these in a daycare environment.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Our daycare told me they were not allowed to have any of those types of devices (swings, exersaucers, bouncy seats) The only things they had were Bumbo seats on the ground.
    That's so funny because of ALL the items listed I think bumpos are the most dangerous for kids! Kids who are not able to sit up having their hips forced into that position.

I do get where the fear of these kind of devices comes from. I think every mom's fear is a daycare that sticks the baby in a bouncy seat for basically the whole day and ignores her. My personal observation from looking at daycares is that home DCPs are the riskier choice for this. Centers usually have a dedicated infant staff, whereas mixed-age home daycare providers have to keep an eye on infants and toddlers together. Of course the toddlers need a lot more attention and it's so easy to strap a non-walker into an exersaucer or swing until they need to be pulled out for a meal or diaper change. Then plopped right back in afterwards. (FWIW I am sure there are plenty of moms of more than 1 kid who resort to the same thing sometimes).

But a good DCP does provide a home-like atmosphere. Exersaucers have a place there so if you trust your DCP to interact with and care for your DC, I think they are fine.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS loved his Exersaucer! I think he was 5 months when we first put him in it, and he had so much fun I wished we had done it sooner.

His daycare also did not have bouncers, swings, etc. - we were told it was a California licensing thing where they were not allowed to "confine" them in anything, other than when they were in a high chair to eat. So if DS arrived at daycare asleep in his infant seat, I had to unbuckle him but they (reluctantly) let me leave him sitting in the seat. Obviously the intent is that these items not be used to "babysit" the kids in a daycare setting, but I agree with a PP that a bouncer or Exersaucer is better than a Bumbo.

Quote Originally Posted by deborah_r View Post

I mention this because it indicates there could be good reasons not to use these in a daycare environment.
    This could have been a policy put on by the director so the staff member wouldn't keep the child in the exersaucer for long periods of time. I know I saw some babies in them for an hour... Really.

Jack loved his, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again for Matthew when he is big enough.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know how the Bumbo was deemed OK and the others not, I was just sharing my observation. I could ask the director.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by deborah_r View Post

We were told by our daycare that they couldn't have swings or exersaucers (they did have bouncy seats that didn't vibrate), because of their NAEYC accreditation.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with many of the PP's - they're great as long as DC isn't in it more than 20 minutes at a time/preferably per day. If he's not sitting well, but has good head control, the daycare may use a towel to help prop him up a little. In babies with typical development, this can actually help them learn the balance needed to sit, which is why the daycare may be suggesting that he start using one.

DD *loved* hers, which we got as a hand-me-down.

If you're thinking about buying one for home, as well, check out second-hand/consignment stores and/or garage sales. They often have a selection of barely-used ones (while most kids love them, some hate them...). You can easily wipe down the plastic parts before using it, and get it for a fraction of new.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got one for my DS when he was 5 months old. He has a super long torso so I got the Graco Baby Einstein version because it seems to have the tallest height limit. He enjoys it and it was great when he was younger to let me get a shower or to get the laundry down to the basement. He still uses it (some) @ 14 months & I am wondering if he would be able to climb out of it? He has short legs & still with the long torso....

Thanks everyone for the insights! I am so glad I asked. All of my IRL friends just assume that if BRU sells something it must be safe!
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by baileygirl View Post
    We were told by our daycare that they couldn't have swings or exersaucers (they did have bouncy seats that didn't vibrate), because of their NAEYC accreditation.
    FWIW, DD is at a NAEYC accredited center, and they had all of the above. They did limit the time in them, though. ITA with others that it depends on whether you trust your DCP to limit the duration......have you seen the other babies using one? Did it seem like the DCPs were on top of it, or did it seem like they were just left in there.....?
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2