mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default toddler fracture/cast - BTDT tips?

DS (17 months) fell climbing down from a chair and has a minor "toddler fracture" in one leg. He's got a short leg "walking" cast on it for three weeks. We asked if they could do a waterproof cast to make bathing, etc. easier, but they said no, so we can't get it wet. Any tips on the easiest way to wash hair, bathe, etc. while keeping the cast dry? DS was very hesitant to walk/move around with the cast tonight, but I assume he'll get used to it after a couple of days. Between the cast and the walking boot on top of it, he's very lopsided, so I think that and the weight are making it very awkward for him. We've still been using fairly soft-soled shoes outside and just socks inside, but the person who put the cast on him suggested getting a thick soled tennis shoe to help balance him out height-wise, but I don't know if it's good to have him wearing shoes like that all day? If your child's had a similar injury, how quickly did they adjust to the cast? Thanks!
    Last edited by mousemom; 04-30-2010 at 09:55 PM.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Sorry about your little guy! The good news is that fractures like that in kids heal quickly and well.
    I haven't BTDT but I can say that toddlers are amazingly resiliant. I betcha it'll be a few days and he'll have figured out a decent way to get around. It may not be graceful but it will get the job done. As far as bathing, one option would be to lie him down on the kitchen counter and wash his hair (and maybe whole upper body) in the sink, and then sponge bathe the rest of him. If he doesn't need his hair washed, an all-over sponge bath may be your best bet.
    Good luck!
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

I can sympathize. My son (now 20!) broke his arm at 2 1/2 and again at 4 and broke his leg (requiring a full-leg cast) at age 4 as well. Here's what worked for us: put a hand towel around the top of the cast and then completely cover the cast and towel with a plastic bag. secure with a rubber band (not too tight) or some plastic tape. It's not going to be on forever so it shouldn't affect circulation at all. You can then safely shower him (try to be as quick as possible) without getting the cast wet. If you're just washing his hair, have him lay with his head over the sink if he'll allow it. You can also purchase a reusable cast cover at Wal-Mart, etc. Hope this helps!

So sorry your DS is going through this!

No BTDT, just
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Poor kid! But this will be harder on you than him. Just sending good vibes your way for a speedy recovery
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the tips and good wishes! DS is not very happy with his limited mobility, but he's starting to get a little more comfortable crawling around with the cast at least and can a walk a little if we hold his hand. We've sponge bathed him so far. I can't see him lying quietly while we wash his hair in the sink, so that should be fun. At least it doesn't have to be done that often!
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13