Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    From what I've read, I would get a temporary title and pay no tax when I buy it and then I'd register it here and pay tax here. Is that not how it works? I admit having a tough time finding info on it with Google.
    I believe that is exactly what happens. My DH bought his last car in Indiana and we live in Ohio. We paid Ohio sales tax when we registered the car here.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

From what I've read, I would get a temporary title and pay no tax when I buy it and then I'd register it here and pay tax here. Is that not how it works? I admit having a tough time finding info on it with Google.
    In Florida, the sales tax % varies by county. Our home county is a higher %, so we benefited by purchasing cars in a county with a lower rate. YMMV, but it is an important aspect to consider when trying to get the best deal. You would hate to be surprised by higher taxes in the 11th hour, or you may end up with the better bottom line deal closer to home. If you are truly comparing bottom line pricing, you can at least make an educated choice. Good luck with your negotiations.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    In Florida, the sales tax % varies by county. Our home county is a higher %, so we benefited by purchasing cars in a county with a lower rate. YMMV, but it is an important aspect to consider when trying to get the best deal. You would hate to be surprised by higher taxes in the 11th hour, or you may end up with the better bottom line deal closer to home. If you are truly comparing bottom line pricing, you can at least make an educated choice. Good luck with your negotiations.
    Ah! I don't think we have county by county taxes here. Once I got a good quote, I shopped it around locally and I think I'll be good with a fairly local dealer. And, at this point, I'm shopping out-the-door pricing, which includes taxes and fees, etc. It makes it easier for comparing for me.

I think tomorrow is too busy, but I think on Thursday I'll get a chance to get to the dealer and have them look at my trade-in and figure out where to go from there.

I can't wait!
    Kris

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought a car in Vegas and registered it in California. I paid NV sales tax, then only had to pay the difference to California. So it sounds like each state may do things differently.
    mom to Billy 12/07

I got a good price, that I'm happy with. I did email about a dozen in Chicago and Indianapolis. It's interesting - all the metro Detroit dealers wrote me back in a style that was just answering my email. All the Chicago dealers had a huge email with various fonts, sizes, colors, parts in all caps, etc. Only 1 of 5 Chicago dealers who responded gave me a price. The others gave me a phone number.

Fortunately, one of my best first quotes was fairly local and I was able to use that to get a couple other places lower. I ended up about $1800 invoice and in line with what others on Edmunds are paying. One guy is now trying to get me to buy from him and lower his price anohter $200. But, he totally irritated me. He also told me my appraisal on the trade wouldn't be valid at all once I drove the car away and I should leave it there (for 4 days until he got me the color!).

I went with the second lowest dealer (only by $100 at the time) and he gave me a higher amount on the trade and also discounted the towing package for us. Plus, his personalilty is so much better than that other guy, I'd rather have him have the sale.

They're working on getting me the color and I am hoping to get it this week!

Thanks for the tips. Going by email was so easy and they way to do it!
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

you work it girl!

Next step...put WeatherTech mats on your wishlist. I did, then spent the money on a wafflemaker, now our carpets are looking icky.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    you work it girl!

Next step...put WeatherTech mats on your wishlist. I did, then spent the money on a wafflemaker, now our carpets are looking icky.
    They're on my list. If I can swing it soon, I will. Otherwise, maybe a birthday present to myself. We don't eat waffles, so I should be good .

I'm getting a quote on a remote starter today, too.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default 1ww3zww666666

I'm getting a quote on a remote starter today, too.
    plus a hitch? You're going to have a great van!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    plus a hitch? You're going to have a great van!
    My Malibu has a remote starter and I use it all the time in the winter. When it's really cold, I drive DS to the bus stop and leave the others in the car and keep it on for heat. I know this will be us for 3 more years until they're all in school and can stand outside for the bus!

DH thinks we'll want to pull my parent's pop up camper. I'm not as sure. I think we could have just borrowed their Explorer, too. Whatever. If we get the towing package (hitch, transmission fluid cooler, power steering cooler) installed before we take delivery, it's covered under the 3 year 36000 mile warranty.

I'm guessing we'll either get cross bars for the top or more likely Yakima towers that attach to the roof rack. We take so much to NH with us, I think we'll still need the car top carrier .

I'm pretty excited. I totally cleaned out my Malibu and it looks awesome. DH doesn't like it as much as his Saturn, so I figured he should at least start with a super clean car! It'll be really nice to not have to always switch cars so that if I'm gone he has a car that fits all the kids.
    Kris

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm surprised that you aren't getting better quotes down here in ohio. Ohio IS honda country, seeing how there is a plant in marysville and ppl are maaisvely POld that GM closed plants here, so more ppl have been buying hondas than ever before, even in our town that was GM country.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5