Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Tick bite and Lyme Disease

OK, I am grossing myself out as I type this, but yesterday afternoon I found a tick biting me near my collarbone. My best guess is that he was there for almost a full day. DS, DH, DDog and DCat are all clear.

We live in an area that does have Lyme Disease. I read something that said the disease is carried by small deer ticks, rather than the larger ones you usually find on a dog. The one I found was definitely small, unfortunately I flushed it down the toilet before I read about saving it for testing.

Are the small ticks really the ones that carry Lyme Disease? And should you go to the doctor and start on antibiotics right away, or wait to see if you get the bullseye rash or other symptoms?

Thanks!

chays is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Yes, it is the small deer ticks. They are tiny and brown with spots, I think - not black.

Yup...the small ticks carry lyme disease. Chances are you're fine, but I'd keep a close eye on the area. If you notice anything unusual, call the doc ASAP.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

M had one a couple months ago. They just told me to wait to see if the bullseye or any rash appears.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Get checked out now. Trust me. Catch it early if you have it.
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I had lyme last summer, not fun. Deer ticks are really teeny tiny-like the size of a freckle tiny. Keep an eye out for rash- could be anywhere on your body not just the tick site. Any weird symptoms in the next few weeks and I would start antibiotics right away- I had a high fever for 10 days, it took us a while to backtrack to the tick and I then tested positive. Looking back I wish I had put it together sooner, but I am fine now-treatment worked.

I spent a crap load of time trimming trees and in the yard in the last few days and I found a tick on my scalp! Totally freaked and grossed me out. I pulled it out and I think I got the whole thing, but I didn't save it either. I ran screaming to the toilet and flushed it. I can't watch for a rash because my hair is really long and THICK, so I think I need a test or something. . BARF.