Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone else doing May Day baskets?

We bought flowers at the Farmer's Market this morning and I've been saving up empty water bottles to decorate with ribbon and fill with flowers for our May Day "baskets". We're going to go deliver them to friends and neighbors this afternoon (leave them on the porch or doorknob, ring the bell, and attempt to run away before they see who left the flowers). I never seem to see or hear of anyone else doing this anymore--I guess it's sort of antiquated thing and maybe it varies by region, but I think it's a fun and sweet holiday. I hope our neighbors don't think we're crazy! Does anyone else out there do this anymore???
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

We always did it when I was a kid (in the midwest) but I don't see people doing it anymore (now in the south.) When DD gets a little older though, I'd definitely like to do it with her.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Never heard of this. Off to google...

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Never heard of this either.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Ok, now I'm kinda sad I didn't know about this before. Sounds like a sweet tradition. Wonder if I can whip something together today... Do you have any last minute (inexpensive) may day basket suggestions?? Also who's door do you leave it on? TFS!

I think it's a pretty old tradition but not many people do it anymore. For that matter, it hardly seems like anyone in the States really celebrates May Day at all anymore--with a May Pole and May Queen and that sort of stuff. Basically, for the May Day baskets, you just put small bouquets (and maybe a few sweets, or even paper flowers) together in little baskets or other containers that can easily be hung on doorknobs or left on porches. Then you go leave the "baskets" at houses of friends and neighbors, ring the doorbell, and run off before they can see who it was. The easiest kind of "basket" to make is just a paper one with a paper or ribbon loop for a handle: http://familycrafts.about.com/od/may...sket_Craft.htm

I like to recycle water bottles and Gerber puffs containers for our "baskets", decorate them with ribbon, and hot-glue a ribbon loop on for hanging.

It's fun and simple and these days most people aren't expecting it at all. I usually stick a little note on that says "Happy May Day!" so they're not totally confused
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I just sent ds to our elderly neighbor's house with a big bunch of azaleas from our deck- not strictly a basked but in the spirit of the day. I do this every year, but sometimes forget to hit May 1 exactly. I do like the idea, but I have never seen or heard of anyone else doing it.

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

People here in Germany really get into it! From what we've been told, it's a day when boys leave a birch (I think) tree branch decorated with streamers in front of the house of a girl they like. And these branches can be literally bigger than the biggest tree you could buy at Home Depot, some people looked like they cut down a whole tree! They are very pretty and colorful. We went for a walk this morning to see some of the ones in our town.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had never heard of it but DD's class did it yesterday!

for Sandy Hook

Update- DS1 and I made a papercone and put some flowers from our yard in it. He got a kick out of knocking and running. It's not still hanging on the neighbor's door so I'm guessing they got it. Won't take a detective to figure out it was us though- they can see the flowers missing from our yard and the 5 year old scribbled "HAppY MAy dAY" might clue them in as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast