gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What do I do with this 8 yo cooking oil?

This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway. As I was cleaning out some cabinets today, I discovered a gallon container of cooking oil that was about 1/4 full. DH used to deep fry our thanksgiving turkeys with it although we haven't done that in years. I really don't want the oil but that seems like a large amount of oil to dump down the sink. Wouldn't it pollute or clog or do somehing bad? What should I do with it? TIA!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is there a reason why you can't put the container and contents into your weekly trash?
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

not down the sink! We throw ours out in the field next door, lol. I think if it's sealed you can just throw the container in the trash.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We try to avoid putting any oil at all down the sink. Definitely put it in the trash.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Never ever ever put oil down the sink! Leave it in the bottle and throw it out! We don't put USED cooking oil or grease down the sink either...Just keep a large can in the freezer (like a 28 oz tomato can, rinse it first). We put all of our grease and oil in there and keep it in the freezer where it solidifies. When it is full, or when we open a new can, we pitch the old one.

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In the trash, not the sink.....around here the county sewere people call that "FOG" (Food Oil Grease) and it is a really bad thing in your pipes and the local sewers.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Quote Originally Posted by elliput View Post
    Is there a reason why you can't put the container and contents into your weekly trash?
    oh, yeah, well, the bottle is recycleable but it has to be empty. Not washed clean, but emptied of as much liquid as possible. I guess I could just dump it in the field behind our house. Probably won't hurt anything and at least then the bottle gets recycled.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I know this is silly, but there are quite a few folks out there with alternative-fuel vehicles who'd love it for their cars.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

I just just plain cheap oil when I make playdough, but that would be a lot of playdough

Sierra
    2 boys 2 girls

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeofUs View Post
    I know this is silly, but there are quite a few folks out there with alternative-fuel vehicles who'd love it for their cars.
    Doesn't sound silly AT ALL! Sounds very smart, imho!!!! If I knew someone who did this, I'd happily give it to him/her.