lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default All wraps equal??

I have been looking at various wraps trying to decide if I want to purchase one. Never having seen them or tried them in person, I was hoping you could help me with some questions I have.

Is there a major difference between brands of wraps, or is it more like a-wrap-is-a-wrap-is-a-wrap? I know the major contender is the Moby. So what's the difference between a Moby vs a Sleepy Wrap vs a Gypsy Mama Wrap, etc. Why is a Moby $40, but the Gypsy Wrap $75? I like the idea of the Gyspy wrap because it is supposed to be lightweight. But is it $35 more worth it?

I have also seen a So Nurturing wrap which looks just like a Moby fo $45. Reviewers say it's lighter than the moby, and I like that it has an incorporated pocket to fold it up (as does the Gypsy).

Any insight would be helpful!

Laura
    Last edited by lhafer; 05-02-2010 at 06:19 AM.

Different wraps are made from different fabric. The moby is made from knit fabric (like a heavy t-shirt). You can easily make your own diy moby, by buying 5 yards of 100% cotton heavy knit (not rib knit!), and cutting it down the middle length ways. Other wraps are made with different fibers, ranging from linnen, to wool, to cotton, to bamboo, to silk. A wrap like a didymos can cost several hundred, because of the special fibers and special diagonal weave. I highly suggest you take a look at www.thebabywearer.com in the Wrapping forum, to help you choose a wrap.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have an EllaRoo for my DD and I like that it's woven rather than knit.

It's pricier because it's made of organic cotton & has exclusive/small distributorship.

The price wasn't what sold me, though, but rather how one of my BFFs uses it for her DD!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mobys are really for 15 lbs or less - perfect for newborns. If you're having a new baby soon I think they are worth the investment.

There are other brands more suitable to older babies but it gets quite complicated .... different lengths, fabrics, etc. Many people in the US opt for a more portable carrier like an Ergo or a Ring Sling after the newborn phase because it's a lot easier to pop the baby in & out that way (IMO). But wraps are exceptionally versatile and are more popular in other parts of the world.

Didymos, a German company that is a huge player in the wrap market, has a great website for beginners: http://www.didymos.de/english/index....ying%20methods
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a Baby K'tan that I love! It has the comfort of a wrap without the wrapping part. It goes up fairly high weight wise and I used it with my newborn from like 2 weeks on because there are about 8 different ways to put him in it.

Quote Originally Posted by hobie View Post
    Different wraps are made from different fabric. The moby is made from knit fabric (like a heavy t-shirt). You can easily make your own diy moby, by buying 5 yards of 100% cotton heavy knit (not rib knit!), and cutting it down the middle length ways. Other wraps are made with different fibers, ranging from linnen, to wool, to cotton, to bamboo, to silk. A wrap like a didymos can cost several hundred, because of the special fibers and special diagonal weave. I highly suggest you take a look at www.thebabywearer.com in the Wrapping forum, to help you choose a wrap.
    Also one of the pp is right that Didymos (sp?) is very popular. I think that a lot of ppl do use Mobys or Sleepywraps for little newborns though. They also are easier to use for the novice wrapper because they are stretchy.

Definitely go to the TBW forums. They have a specific forum called Choosing a Carrier and Choosing a Wrap. It is a little intimidating at first because there are SO MANY types of carriers out there. Also ppl use a lot of abbreviations, but you will pick it up pretty easily. Be warned though--you may start to love carriers when you look at all of the action shots ppl post (because they can be so pretty!). It is a very expensive hobby!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyfeet View Post
    Also one of the pp is right that Didymos (sp?) is very popular. I think that a lot of ppl do use Mobys or Sleepywraps for little newborns though. They also are easier to use for the novice wrapper because they are stretchy.

Definitely go to the TBW forums. They have a specific forum called Choosing a Carrier and Choosing a Wrap. It is a little intimidating at first because there are SO MANY types of carriers out there. Also ppl use a lot of abbreviations, but you will pick it up pretty easily. Be warned though--you may start to love carriers when you look at all of the action shots ppl post (because they can be so pretty!). It is a very expensive hobby!
    Thanks! I have a 2 month old. I have an Ergo already that I used with DD#1 (starting when she was 2.5 years old!!) and a Balboa Sling Pouch. I got the Sling because I was afraid of the difficulty I have read about learning how to properly use wraps, like the Moby. But the more I review them, the more I like them.

Update: I purchased a Gyspy Mama Water Wrap to wear at the pool and LOVE it so far. I will use it at the pool for the first time this weekend, but I love how it feels - no pulling or pressure points on my shoulders/back, and my baby seems very comfortable.

I will probably be purchasing a Gypsy Mama Stretch Wrap soon. From what I have read, the Gypsy Mama fabrics are lighter (and therefore cooler) than others, like the Moby fabric. Coolness is very important as I live in South Texas, and it gets HOT here!!