Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Choking Game" death

This is horrendous. I had never even heard of it. My kids hadn't either, but it is the talk of the town right now. And I have lectured them against it until I am blue in the face. Anyway, poor family. The story haunts me:

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...cid=webmaildl1
    Strollerqueen

My friends were doing this way back in high school. They would stand up and bend over, put their hand across their chest, suddenly they stand back up and someone pushes their crossed hands and chokes them. The person usually falls to the floor. I never did it. But when your young you don't realize the consequences stupid things happen. It is very sad that this still continues today.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There has been a lot of press in my local area about this in the past few months due to the death of a 12 yo boy.

It is so sad and so scary.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Get out! Someone actually puts their hands around their neck and strangles them? OK, people are just getting stupider! Or removed from reality. Or something weird.
    Strollerqueen

Yeah, a lot of kids do this to experience something different and see how close they can get... I think it gives them a high since they deplete the oxygen to their brains or whatever. It's another trend, like cutting, that is so dangerous and sad.
    A couple of twin boys did this at the middle school that feeds into the high school where I taught. I don't remember what grade they were in at the time, maybe 6th or 8th? Anyhow, one of the twins did it and ended up blacking out, I think, and becoming mentally disabled/ paralyzed/ maybe both as a result. I remember some of the administrators mentioning it to some of us teachers, because the boys were entering our school later. The one who this happened to (or, more appropriate, did this to himself), was going to enter 9th grade in special ed, while his twin brother was still perfectly fine. So sad. I *think* there might have been an Oprah episode about this a few years ago, too; the only reason I wasn't shocked when hearing about it is because of this incident in our own area.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah, this has been in the news here for a looooong time -- mostly about it happening in the US, but I do recall reports from here too. There are supposed to be NO fabric loop towels in schools here anymore.

So sad. I dunno how you stop it though, b/c I have heard of kids choking themselves out.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sadly, we did this to ourselves in middleschool. Right about this boys age, I think. The "choking" was a self-induced blackout. My parents did not know about it. We thought we were killing a few brain-cells but otherwise thought it harmless. Luckily for my own children, I now know differently.
    How sad for this boy's family.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

I remember girls doing this at sleepovers when I was in junior high/high school.

So sad.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i remember kids doing this in hs too. so sad.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JoyNChrist View Post
    I remember girls doing this at sleepovers when I was in junior high/high school.

So sad.
    same here.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast