sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Unhappy I think DD may be allergic to strawberries!

So yesterday DD's Mommy and Me class went to a local organic farm for a strawberry-picking tour. It's the kind where you can eat the berries right off the plant. DD enjoyed hers, and then I put some on pancakes for the kids this morning.

Today I noticed she had a rough, red patch below her mouth. She has had these before, and I've never really worried about it; I guess I attributed it to excess drool or something (though DD never has drooled, hmmm). It occurred to me that maybe it was from the strawberries. I never kept track, but maybe the previous incidents were after the days that I gave her strawberry spread on her sandwiches.

Now I feel bad. How could I not have made a connection like that?

And now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to avoid strawberries if she ISN'T allergic. Should I have her tested? Should I avoid them until her mouth clears up, and then carefully test with the spread?

Any advice?

In case it makes a difference, I have various nasal allergies and a dermal allergy to wheat. DS and I are allergic to penicillin. DH does not have any allergies that we know of.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

DD one was, found out around 4 or 5 and it lasted till she was 10. Red rash was on her face and I wanna say chest, all the kids in her GS troop new to watch out and warn her during outing (they were so sweet).

hopefully if thats what it is, she will out grow it.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Ds2 was allergic to strawberries. We found out when he was 14 months and we went strawberry picking. He loved them but a little while later he had a rash on his chin, chest and back. We talked to our ped and saw an allergist (no testing though) and both said strawberry allergies are frequently outgrown and to just avoid them for now.
    When he was ~2.5, he stole a couple out of the berry bowl at a party and had no reaction. Now they're one of his favorite foods.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS1 used to have diaper rash if he had too many strawberries. As long as we kept it to a few at a time, he was fine. I had to jump all over his daycare provider one time. She would give him bowls and bowls of them in the spring and his poor bottom would be on fire. She would always say, "But he loves them...."
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

When DD was around 2yo, she would eat them like candy. She used to get little red rashes on her legs, esp. around her knees. Weird, I know, but it was consistent. I just gave her less of them and she had no problem. Outgrew it by age 3.

ETA: I noticed it was more related to her having a lot of berries. A neighbor told me the same thing about her DD. She outgrew hers as well. Maybe it's more of a sensitivity than an allergy?

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Personally, I would have my child tested. DS tested positive for strawberries when he was around 2 1/2 or 3 as part of his annual allergy testing. We just found out last month that he has outgrown it.

Linda