Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tmarie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you clean your kitchen table?

Do you use a tablecloth? Just wipe up with a damp cloth?

We have a pretty nice wooden ktichen table that we purchased from Ethan Allen a couple of years ago. It's a distressed farmhouse look, so I thought we'd be fine with the kids. Well, it does have a finish on it, and I'm finding the finish gets really cloudy when I have to wash the inevitable kids' food and fingerprints that stray from their placemats. Also, we had friends over this week and one of the guests wrote on my table with a green marker and it is not coming off! Eventually I want to have it refinished and order a glass top so that I can clean up more easily and protect the table. In the meantime, I need to come up with a new system...

TIA!
    tmarie

We use a microfiber tablecloth where if something spills, it beads up and wipes easily away. I put it in the washer/dryer as needed.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Warm water or spray castille soap/ water mixture (small part soap, large part just water) and a paper towel or rag.

Beth

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We use placemats. The tablecloth kept getting pulled off, along with the dishes above. I use method almond good for wood sometimes but usually with just vinegar/water spray.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Maybe you should get a glass top for it, at least until the kids are older. We have a glass kitchen table and even though I don't like the look of it, at least it is easy to wipe off.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we have a clear vinyl table cloth (not pretty, but so much easier with kids) and i just spray it with the same vinegar and water that i use for all my cleaning and wipe with a cloth diaper.

We have a white wood table (I know, bad choice!) and every time DD would do some art project, with paint/marker/etc, I would freak out about the mess. Lately I have been using one of those vinyl tablecloths with a design on it. I tape the edges up to the bottom of the table, to keep it tightly in place. It wipes clean easily and I can change it whenever I want. And you can change the look of your table with the seasons!

Mine is stainless (dining room) so no help here....
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarie View Post
    Do you use a tablecloth? Just wipe up with a damp cloth?

We have a pretty nice wooden ktichen table that we purchased from Ethan Allen a couple of years ago. It's a distressed farmhouse look, so I thought we'd be fine with the kids. Well, it does have a finish on it, and I'm finding the finish gets really cloudy when I have to wash the inevitable kids' food and fingerprints that stray from their placemats. Also, we had friends over this week and one of the guests wrote on my table with a green marker and it is not coming off! Eventually I want to have it refinished and order a glass top so that I can clean up more easily and protect the table. In the meantime, I need to come up with a new system...

TIA!
    tmarie
    I'm not sure it's recommended, but I use Seventh Generation Kitchen Cleaner(wild orange & cedar spice) and my table looks great! I was afraid at first it would start to lose the finish, but I've been doing daily for over a year now since we've had it and it still looks new(except for some scratches-thanks DS). I kind of started it by accident, then had good results so I kept doing it. Lol. As for the green marker, a magic eraser would work, but you will probably lose some of the finish along with it.
    DS1 5.10.05

DS2 12.10.08

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

To remove the green marker, try using a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

I love the microfiber table clothes. They look nice, wash up great and are pretty much wrinkle free.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast