Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Pictures- where could they be?? Help

I uploaded all of our Easter and spring break pictures a few weeks ago into Picasa. No problems. I wiped the card clean. I uploaded pictures to Facebook. I cn not find those pictures in Picasa! They just aren't there! I always, 100% of the time upload to Picasa so they aren't in another program (I don't have one). I know they are on the computer somewhere because I got them onto Facebook somehow. How would I go about tracking them down? Walk me through it like I am 5yo because I am really, really unsavvy about this stuff.

Thanks!!!!
    Beth

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Pictures aren't stored "in picasa", it's just a library viewer type program that helps you import, edit and organize. They are somewhere on your computer in a My Pictures folder or something, Picasa just finds them and displays them.

Can you find a filename from facebook? Like DCS0001.jpg or whatever.

Do a search for that exact name on your computer using finder or windows explorer. Search the entire c: drive.

You could also search for "date created", use a range of a few weeks, just to be sure. Verify your camera's date stamp is right.

Additionally, close picasa down and reopen. It usually automatically searches for "new" images to add to its library.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not familiar with Picasa; do you Save from the program?

If so, and if you have not used the program since, you could try going to Save and looking to see if it shows you the path that was used most recently (i.e. what folder it used for whatever was saved last). It may have created some random temporary folder or something.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

rgors is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

"Additionally, close picasa down and reopen. It usually automatically searches for "new" images to add to its library."

Exactly. Also, sometimes it takes a few minutes (yes minutes, not seconds) for the new search to happen. Usually happens right away, but I have seen it take minutes to find new pictures.

I am 100% baffled. If I go under "My Pictures" from the start menu, my Easter 2010 folder is not there. However, if I go to Facebook and try and add pictures, Easter 2010 is an album option to choose from and it contains all the images it should. ????????????

Beth

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's the reason I stopped using Picasa - it makes its own mysterious directory. I think. I dunno. Could never find my blasted photos!

I'm sure you'll find 'em and even if you don't they are on FB. Good vibes for your search!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    That's the reason I stopped using Picasa - it makes its own mysterious directory. I think. I dunno. Could never find my blasted photos!

I'm sure you'll find 'em and even if you don't they are on FB. Good vibes for your search!
    What do you like instead? Picasa has done things over the years that have irked me. But, then again, I can't think of a single computer program that hasn't annoyed me.

Beth

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just don't use a program anymore. I hook the camera up to my computer and move the pictures into folders that I made: Vacations (with sub-folders for each trip), Family (with sub-folders like DD newborn, DD 3-6 months, etc.)

For photoediting I use Photoscape http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/...-10703122.html But I don't edit most photos, just use it once in a while.

And I backup online. I use SmugMug but it's not free. There are lots of great options. I've heard wonderful things about dotPhoto. And of course there's always Shutterfly.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I just don't use a program anymore. I hook the camera up to my computer and move the pictures into folders that I made: Vacations (with sub-folders for each trip), Family (with sub-folders like DD newborn, DD 3-6 months, etc.)

For photoediting I use Photoscape http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/...-10703122.html But I don't edit most photos, just use it once in a while.

And I backup online. I use SmugMug but it's not free. There are lots of great options. I've heard wonderful things about dotPhoto. And of course there's always Shutterfly.
    This is what I do basically. I have a folder called pictures and inside that folder I make folders for each month. I upload all pics into the appropriate monthly folder. If there's a big event, like a trip or birthday party, I'll make a special folder just for that. I also upload pics to Costco.com when I want to print, and to Snapfish.com when i want to share with friends and family. The nice part about putting your pics online is then you can access them from anywhere basically.
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

did you search your entire c drive for "easter 2010"? maybe picasa didn't download them where you think it did. it has a default, and i always tell it someplace different (a yy-mm subfolder of "my pictures").

it might have put them in the last download place.

also search your trash in case there was fat finger delete or a mystery drag and drop.

or you picasa might not be displaying them. i have a bunch of folders that i told picasa not to display. they are on my machine, but are not kid related and i dont want to wade thru them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast