Default Morigeau Drop Side Crib

Hi Ladies.

My parents were just given a hand me down drop side crib that was made by Morigeau Lepine.

I'm hesitant to let them use it...I've heard horror stories about drop side cribs that were disassembled and put back together...plus the fact that this company went out of business in 2008 makes me even more nervous.

Am I just being neurotic?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We bought a Moriegeau Lepine crib in 2003 and used it again for our 2nd (actually just packed it away 6 months ago). It's a beautiful crib and we had no problems with the drop down side working after disassembling and moving it multiple times. To be honest, however, I never really ever used the drop down side. When the kids were wee ones and we had the mattress on the highest level, I could easily just reach in and grab them. Plus the side was always loud when lifting latching it. By the time we lowered the mattress, the kids were big enough to sit up so again, it was easy to reach in and get them.

I think the company went out of business for reasons other than quality and craftsmanship but more as a victim of the economy.
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06

We bought a M-L crib for our first child and are currently using it for our second. I didn't know they were out of business . We bought it because it was one of the higher quality cribs at the time (Canada made) and was completely solid wood. Like pp jec2, we never have used the drop down side because of the mattress level settings (btw, our latch made a loud sound as well). I would not hesitate to use it.

I also got a Morigeau drop sided crib hand-me-down. Alas, I have the further complication of losing all the hardware. My husband put it together with new screws from the hardware store according to the instructions on the crib, but I am still nervous. Not only is it a hand-me-down (strike one), it's a drop-sided crib (strike two), and I lost the hardware (strike three!). Basically I'm asking myself--is it worth it to fork over $500 (price of a new crib) for peace of mind? For me it could be.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well given the fact that ALL drop side cribs have been recalled and can no longer be sold in the US... I would be hesitant. Many companies are offering retro-fit kits to immobilize the drop side of their cribs, but given that this one went out of business... is there a way to fix the drop side permanently? (i.e. screw it to the rail so it can't drop).

My parents had one of the recalled cribs at their TX house and even before the recall I was nervous about it and expressed my concern since the drop side could very easily derail and leave a gap. However they have a European drop side crib in their house abroad and that one I don't have a problem with because the side cannot derail. I would thoroughly test your parents crib, move the drops side up and down many times to see if there's any chace of it derailing.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by TizzyAlexander View Post
    I also got a Morigeau drop sided crib hand-me-down. Alas, I have the further complication of losing all the hardware. My husband put it together with new screws from the hardware store according to the instructions on the crib, but I am still nervous. Not only is it a hand-me-down (strike one), it's a drop-sided crib (strike two), and I lost the hardware (strike three!). Basically I'm asking myself--is it worth it to fork over $500 (price of a new crib) for peace of mind? For me it could be.
    You don't have to spend $500 for a new crib. We are very happy with our Ikea Gulliver, which runs around $80 to $120 (depending on color) to the best of my memory.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    You don't have to spend $500 for a new crib. We are very happy with our Ikea Gulliver, which runs around $80 to $120 (depending on color) to the best of my memory.

Catherine
    I would much prefer an inexpensive crib from IKEA than a hand me down drop side. But, that is my neurotic thing. I think everyone has at least one thing (chemicals in products, organic food, drop side cribs, using a car seat in a stroller etc.) that they just can't compromise on and that is my thing.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

OP, FYI, here is the warning issued by the CPSC:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10225.html
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Quote Originally Posted by jec2 View Post
    We bought a Moriegeau Lepine crib in 2003 and used it again for our 2nd (actually just packed it away 6 months ago). It's a beautiful crib and we had no problems with the drop down side working after disassembling and moving it multiple times. To be honest, however, I never really ever used the drop down side. When the kids were wee ones and we had the mattress on the highest level, I could easily just reach in and grab them. Plus the side was always loud when lifting latching it. By the time we lowered the mattress, the kids were big enough to sit up so again, it was easy to reach in and get them.

I think the company went out of business for reasons other than quality and craftsmanship but more as a victim of the economy.
    We have a Morigeau also with no problems, however ours was not a hand-me-down. The Morigeaus were not recalled and the company did go out of business due to economy, not quality. Their pieces were made in Canada and used quality wood, rather than outsourcing to China and using particle board, etc. If you are concerned and budget is an issue, I would recommend one of the Ikea cribs.