Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I know I'd LOL if I got that note. But I know some people get very emotional if someone else in the family announces a pregnancy while they're pregnant (there was a thread like 2 weeks ago about that), and the dibs thing is potentially a big "OOPS" moment.

Presuming they aren't cherished family names, the odds of them wanting the same names you want are sooooo low that it's probably no big deal.

(BTW care to share the two names???? I'm super curious!)
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

yeah.. my cousin did that to me. She was due 4 months after me and made the statement I better not use "Logan" actually informed my mother to tell me when I was about a month from delivering - mom told her she may have a problem. Well.... As you see it was the ONE AND ONLY name we had picked out we just had not felt it necessary to tell everyone months in advance.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    yeah.. my cousin did that to me. She was due 4 months after me and made the statement I better not use "Logan" actually informed my mother to tell me when I was about a month from delivering - mom told her she may have a problem. Well.... As you see it was the ONE AND ONLY name we had picked out we just had not felt it necessary to tell everyone months in advance.
    Ooh, what happened? What'd she say, and what did she name her DS?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

LOL NOT Logan. She got all huffy because she had told everyone she was using that name. In fact I heard through the grapevine that even after Logan was born someone asked her what she was going to name her baby and when she said Logan they said... Hey didnt Jeana just name her baby that...
    We are 1st cousins and at that point we were still going to my grandparents for holidays. I guess she figured she would have answer the question.. Didnt Jeana just name her baby that many times so she changed her choice.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I have pretty "different" names chosen for future children. For example, I love the names Acacia (uh-kay-shuh) and Ryleah (Ry-lee-ah) for girls, and Beckett and Coen for a boy. The chances that a sibling or close friend would use those names is slim

That being said, we would likely be announcing chosen names early on to avoid this! Hoping that once people start thinking of *our* baby by Acacia or Beckett, maybe it would sway someone else to not pick the same name because the name is already associated with our baby.

However, its not the end of the world (IMHO) to have cousins with the same name. In my family, Hannah is the child(ren) of: (1) my stepsister, (2) cousin #3, (3) cousin #7, (4) my very close best friend, who came to family functions for years. They just get nicknames with it: Big Hannah (she's the oldest), Arizona Hannah (because of where she lives), Baby Hannah (the youngest so far), and Auntie Kat's Hannah.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I went throught this a little with my sister. I was due 5 months before her with DS. She found out the day before I my scheduled c-section that she was also having a boy. She knew Jack was one of our front runners and mentioned to my mom (prior to her knowing that DN was a boy) to steer us away from Jack. Honestly I was slightly annoyed but I told my mom, my kid will be born first and will be named first. My mom agreed. In the end it wasn't a big deal since neither boy is Jack! I honestly don't think my sister would have been mad if we used it anyway. She knew we had an awful time choosing DS's name.

Now on the other hand....my cousin's wife was due within 2 weeks of my sister, hinted that they wanted to know our names choices early, as to not step on any toes. Ok, rather polite but my mom informed them we hadn't chosen DS's name (we did not actually chose it until he was 3 days old!). So the day my sister finds out the sex of her baby and the DAY before my c-section she posts their name choices on facebook(of a baby to be born 5 months later) HUH??? not stepping on any toes. Couldn't they have waited until my kid was born and named if they didn't want to steal someone's name???? It was super weird....almost as if they wanted to claim their names at the last minute.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I think if you really want "dibs" on a name ahead of time, you just need to pick your name and announce it to the family via an email ("here are ultrasound pictures of Isabella Grace, due July 10, 2010. She can't wait to meet all of you!")
    I think this might be the ONLY tactful way to "reserve" a name. I am of the mind that the baby that just got born is the only person who can have "dibs" on a name. I'd be pretty peeved if someone told me what I could or could not name my baby, unless I specifically said, "Hey, let's compare notes on names." If your baby is born first, you get first choice. It's up to her if she wants to name her kid the same thing. The only person whose choices you can control is you.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2