If you and a close family member (Sister/ SIL/ etc.) have very similar due dates, do you put 'dibs' on certain names that you want to 'reserve' in case they have the baby first and you're worried about them using your name choice(s)? It sounds silly, but I have my heart set on a couple of name choices if we have a girl, and my SIL is (for the 2nd time) due a few weeks after me. She & my brother are very private about names and everything in general, and I recently sent a little congratulatory gift to them on their big news and put as a p.s. in the card that I call dibs on _______ & ________. I was serious but tried to do it in a light-hearted way so she wouldn't think I was being snarky. I'm just the type of person to lay it out on the table and let people know my intentions, instead of one of us having the baby first and finding out that they chose our name!
Is that really poor manners? It's so hard these days, as so many people keep their name choices private until they ultimately name the baby in the hospital (or before coming home). It wasn't an issue with our first kids because one of us had a boy and the other had a girl, and the name thing just never came up (we told everyone what we'd probably be naming our little one, they didn't, but since we never heard any comments or concern from them, I assumed that there wouldn't be an issue with them wanting to use the name we chose). I guess ultimately it shouldn't matter if the cousins have the same name (in our case, they don't have the same last name), but I just think it gets confusing for g'parents and such when referring to them, and I just really don't want other people using 'our name(s)!'

What do you think? Have you done this, or would you do this? With a relative or a close friend?

Thanks for sharing!