SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How much to clean and reseal deck (hire someone)?

Dh just thought I should run the quote we received by the board (1st time he has suggested that ). Our deck is 7-8y, we moved in 6y ago and have never done anything to it. It needs to be cleaned and resealed. The deck is more a series of landings and stairs. The estimate was $350+ materials. 2 man team, manually scrub the deck as he really doesn't think power washing is good enough. 1 day to clean, 1 day to seal (a day between to air). Is that reasonable?

Beth

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So that is less than 100 a day per person assuming it is a full day of work each day. Round here it would be about what I paid a couple of years ago. I think it was 400 but not sure. For our deck to be repainted. It was similar (clean, sand, paint).
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Dh just thought I should run the quote we received by the board (1st time he has suggested that ). Our deck is 7-8y, we moved in 6y ago and have never done anything to it. It needs to be cleaned and resealed. The deck is more a series of landings and stairs. The estimate was $350+ materials. 2 man team, manually scrub the deck as he really doesn't think power washing is good enough. 1 day to clean, 1 day to seal (a day between to air). Is that reasonable?

Beth
    We just paid $350 this week in NJ. Our other quotes were nearly $1000....our deck was last done 5 years ago and needed to be power washed and stained. It's 12' x 18' and that included all materials.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes it's reasonable IMO. Power washing is a really effective way to clean a deck, though. We power washed our 18 year old deck and ran a belt sander over it before staining it and it looks brand new.

That seems like a good deal. Our deck is pretty large, but the quote was around $1000 to clean/seal it along with a small stone area at the bottom. Needless to say, I'm looking for more quotes!

mom2one is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am with the other PP that recommended power washing. It does amazing things if you have a great power washer. We did it ourselves and hired others to do it. It is a lot of work to clean a deck and stain in yourselves. $350 sounds like a great price if that hand scrubbing also includes powerwashing.

We had a HUGE deck and had ours power washed, sanded and sealed for $600. To find someone who does a GREAT job at a GREAT price is hard to find. It does look brand new after all that work.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thanks, all! I think that I am just going to do it myself. I can muster up the elbow grease to save myself $350. If by the end of the summer I haven't done it then I will hire him.

Beth

I have scrubbed a deck by hand before.

It. Sucked.

And I agree with PPs, a good power washer can do a pretty good job. 'Course so will hired labor!

I would stain and seal it myself though. That's the easy part.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010