Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Mom has breast cancer. Now what?

My mom just found out this afternoon that she has breast cancer. Both sides, but I guess that it is very small and was caught very early. Not sure of the name of the type (lesion something??), but apparently it is less likely to metastisize. She is 62 and otherwise quite healthy.

We are quite close, and live about 10 minutes apart. She helps a lot with the kids, and is very close to them.

I was running on fumes before this news came in.

It's going to be okay, right?

Anyone who has btdt and can give me an idea of what might be to come? She's in good hands medically already.

Prayers are appreciated too - for this, and for other things that I can't post here (but are contributing heavily to me running on fumes).

TIA!!

Lori
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

So sorry for this news. No btdt, just sending positive thoughts your way. ((Hugs)
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

well--my grandmothers husband survived advanced lymphoma so it sounds like your moms got a really good chance at beating this. Especially if they caught it this early. My fil was diagnosed with prostate cancer and is fine 8 years later. There are success stories.

What to do for her? I'd say be there for her and drive her around and help take care of her if she feels lousy due to her treatments of whatever they decide is best for her.

But take care of yourself. She's going to need you and you'll need your strength and alertness. If nothing else she may need help juggling her health insurance paperwork. to you.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm sorry, Lori. You and your mom are both in my prayers. As for BTDT, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995. Hers was caught early as well. She underwent radiation but elected not to have chemo. I remember she had multiple appts each week for a few months. I don't remember exactly how often she went in for radiation, but I know it didn't slow her down. At the time she was planning my sister's wedding and helping to take care of my grandfather who was terminally ill. It's been 15 years and she's just fine. She's never had a recurrence.

Hugs,

Linda

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hugs and lots of P+PT for your mom and you
    K

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So sorry to hear that news. Big hugs to you. I typed out a long post but I am going to PM you instead. Good news coming.
    DD
    DS

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That sounds so scary but it's a relief they caught it early. No BTDT but I know my mom's next door neighbor had - much more advanced than that - and within a year was back to her old self. There is definitely hope. Good luck to you & yours.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

P&PT Lori.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    My mom just found out this afternoon that she has breast cancer. Both sides, but I guess that it is very small and was caught very early. Not sure of the name of the type (lesion something??), but apparently it is less likely to metastisize. She is 62 and otherwise quite healthy.

We are quite close, and live about 10 minutes apart. She helps a lot with the kids, and is very close to them.

I was running on fumes before this news came in.

It's going to be okay, right?

Anyone who has btdt and can give me an idea of what might be to come? She's in good hands medically already.

Prayers are appreciated too - for this, and for other things that I can't post here (but are contributing heavily to me running on fumes).

TIA!!

Lori
    Lori, big huge hugs to you. My mom did not have the same type of cancer, but I can tell you a few things that might help as you get set to help her fight this.

If a lot of people will want to follow her progress, you (or better yet, someone you designate) can set up a website at caringbridge.org or carepages. com. This was a lifesaver for me and my sibs. We also set up a private Yahoo group just for us kids, to communicate more easily and privately with each other and help manage things. There is a calendar there and room for pics, files, links, etc.

If your mom does not keep a calendar (paper or digital) she can carry with her, I would get her one. She can use it to make appts and write down important info. Also, as long as she is not fasting, bring food and water when she goes to appointments, treatments, tests, etc. There may be some long waits. And you do want food available when she is hungry, because she may not always be.

You have a lot on your plate right now, so even if you think you are the one who *should* do X or Y for your mom, you need to let other people help, too, as much as possible.
    I'll be praying for your mom and you and your family.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

giavila is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm so sorry. I've been there..
    My mom was diagnosed 2 years ago with breast cancer (DCIS), which is cancer in the ducts. She was also 62 at the time. They found it early, she had a lumpectomy that was not successful. She had a 2nd lumpectomy that was successful and then followed by (I think) 8 weeks of radiation 5 days per week. The radiation was easy at first, but the last few weeks were rough. Very exhausted, low energy, etc. She didn't need chemo. She was put on hormone therapy (Tamoxifen) for 5 years and since then has had some thyroid issues (not sure if it's related to the medication) and is dealing with weight gain. Otherwise she is fine and feeling great.

It's a lot to take in, but since it's early she will be just fine. Just be there for her, her appts, things to take her mind off of it, etc.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast