Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Would You Still Use This?

Today, I finally tackled our fantastically over-stuffed narrow closet pantry. The difference between before and after was both embarassing and wonderful. Imagine...I actually know what I have!

The questions that remain are:

1. Does white vinegar in a glass bottle go bad? I couldn't find an expiration date on the bottle. It shouldn't be any older than about 6 years old (worst case, probably not that old!). Even if you wouldn't use it in a recipe, what about for cleaning?

2. Would you still use a package (or two) of unopened spaghetti that expired in February 2010?

3. What should I do with unopened bottles of wine (various vintages/types)? Neither Dh nor I, nor anyone in our families, drink...but Dh's clients often send a bottle of wine as a thank you for work he has done. I hate to just throw them out (especially not knowing if they're particularly good vintages or...whatever!) but I also don't usually cook with them. Any suggestions?
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

White vinegar... Yes cooking or cleaning ( use instead of fabric softener)

Dry pasta -- yes but soon

Wine thats a tuffy Ask around ( moms group etc) See if anyone wants it for drinking/cooking
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

vinegar- no worries
    pasta- heck, I have never bothered looking at an expiration date on that. Why would it go bad? I'd use it. It's barely expired. I wouldn't be in a rush either.
    wine- have a dinner party

Beth

I'd use both the vinegar and pasta. The wine you can send to me in about...5 months.

Seriously though, do any of your friends drink wine? I'm sure they'd love the gift. Or just hang on to them and use them as hostess gifts in the future.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would be fine using the vinegar and the pasta. I'm sure you'll find someone to take the wine off your hands!

I would def use the pasta and vinegar. I think I've cooked pasta older than Feb 2010 recently...we're all still alive.
    SAHM to:

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
    I would def use the pasta and vinegar. I think I've cooked pasta older than Feb 2010 recently...we're all still alive.
    Same here.
    DH's family doesn't really drink much either so they like to regift their wine to me.
    I have actually regifted wine too when I have been pregnant. You gotta have someone to give it to! Or I can PM you my address.
    DD
    DS

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post

3. What should I do with unopened bottles of wine (various vintages/types)? Neither Dh nor I, nor anyone in our families, drink...but Dh's clients often send a bottle of wine as a thank you for work he has done. I hate to just throw them out (especially not knowing if they're particularly good vintages or...whatever!) but I also don't usually cook with them. Any suggestions?
    Send them to me.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

absolutely use the pasta and vinegar. if they look the same and smell the same as new, then they are probably fine.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would use the vinegar and the pasta (heck, I'd use dry pasta that expired in February 2009) and maybe use the wine as gifts?
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast