Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Need Bike Advice

Is this a good bike and a good price?

http://villagecycle.com/product/09-t...00-47531-1.htm

Want to get a bike for this summer.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I dunno about the price, but it's super cute!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Treks are great and that's cute! I love that it has the comfort of a cruiser but still has 21 speeds. Whether that's a good choice really depends on your style.

- For easy / flat / paved bike paths, I'd personally go cheaper..... you can probably get an equivelant bike on CL for 1/2 that price.

- For mountain biking, well it's not mean for mountain biking.

- For fitness --- I personally would like to be a little less upright just in terms of hills & getting a little speed.

- For going around the neighbood roads and a few long trips, I think it's a very good choice. Cute, comfortable and versatile. A great "starter" bike.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

I know exactly zero about bikes! I would use it in the lakefront trail in the city and in country roads and paved trails in WI. Would this bike be good for that?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I dunno about the price, but it's super cute!
    I don't know anything about bikes either but . Most of the trails we ride are - I don't know what it's called but it's like fine gravel. I have a bike that's not as nice as that - the tires aren't the really skinny ones but aren't the real fat ones either. Anyway, my bike is fine for the trails out here so I would think the one you linked to would work great. It's worth saying again, that's super cute!

Quote Originally Posted by mamicka View Post
    Most of the trails we ride are - I don't know what it's called but it's like fine gravel.
    That is what their trails are like too! Good to know it will work on those! I wonder if they live in the same area as you.

I thought there were many bicycle connoisseurs here. Hopefully some will chime in (in addition to wellyes).
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I don't really know that much about bikes, but I just bought this one at a local bike shop near me (except mine is purple), and I love it! I paid the same price, so I think it's a good deal. We ride through the neighborhood, the roads around my house, and also trails in the city. We took it out last weekend for a 25 mile bike ride, and it did awesome. I will admit, I mostly bought it because it was cute and I needed a decent bike. I notice you have a DS a little younger than mine, I have the i-bert on the front of it for DS2, and it is a great fit. HTH.
    DS1 5.10.05

DS2 12.10.08

Quote Originally Posted by awoodm View Post
    I don't really know that much about bikes, but I just bought this one at a local bike shop near me (except mine is purple), and I love it! I paid the same price, so I think it's a good deal. We ride through the neighborhood, the roads around my house, and also trails in the city. We took it out last weekend for a 25 mile bike ride, and it did awesome. I will admit, I mostly bought it because it was cute and I needed a decent bike. I notice you have a DS a little younger than mine, I have the i-bert on the front of it for DS2, and it is a great fit. HTH.
    Great to know! Thanks for mentioning that the i-bert works! We have a Co-Pilot Limo for DS1 is DH's bike, so an i-bert for the lil guy would be perfect!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I might be one of those bike expert types you were talking about. I know a decent amount about road bikes/tri bikes, but have less experience in the whole leisure/cruiser realm of bikes. Based on what you said you're planning to use it for, I think it would work great. As one of the PPs said, you might be able to get something cheaper for your intended purpose (either through CL or a big box store), but the quality from the Trek will be much better. For me, even for cruising with my kids, it seems a little more upright than I would like, but I ride a road bike w/ aero bars and spend a lot of my time in the drops or laid out in the aero bars, so my perspective is skewed
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

Quote Originally Posted by jenmcadams View Post
    but I ride a road bike w/ aero bars and spend a lot of my time in the drops or laid out in the aero bars, so my perspective is skewed
    See, I am so clueless that I have no idea what you are referring to here!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast