Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Where should we go for my 40th bday?

Smack dab in the middle of the summer, I turn 40 - in the middle of July. Yay me!!! We will have a 4yo, a 2.5 yo and a 13mo. One will be just learning to walk (I'm guessing), one will hopefully be done PTing, and the oldest wants to see the world.

*I* don't want to do backflips to pack our stuff. I don't want to cook, pack in food, or clean up after our family. We want to park our van, and stay out of it for the whole time (sick of getting 3DC in/out of carseats). We want to walk/push strollers. Flying would be kinda okay if tickets from NC are reasonable and we can take PT to the destination, not have more than one layover, etc.

Can't be a beach (we have a free beach house privileges plus my mom lives at the beach) and it can't be sweltering hot (DH can't deal) and it can't be overrun with preteens (like Great Wolf Lodge was last year). I want to do something memorable, though. Remember...three kids 4 and under...and tired, old parents... None of our parents or family members are really able/willing to take the kids so WE can get away, plus we like to spend time with them. We're already planning to stop in at Disney/Sea World in the fall when we're in the area.

Where would you go?

Oh, DH reminded me that HIS 40th birthday trip (skiing, leaving the kids at his brother's house for the day) was a bust(2 kids were up crying all night long w/double ear infections - we had to come home) AND that we'll also be celebrating our 5th anniversary a few weeks later, lol. So, we can do something a little more special and fun, with more $$, I presume.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do you mean you aren't taking the kids on this trip? or that you'll be celebrating two things so it's more splurge worthy?

I'm really hoping you get some good suggestions (with kids) because we are looking to take a trip in July with my parents with nearly the same parameters.

Sorry if that was rambling and unclear. WITH kids in tow, maybe not a splurge, but not a free vacation, either. We'll be celebrating 3 events (his 40th, my 40th, our 5th) Light on the water/pool stuff (2 adults, 3 non-swimmers). TIA for any ideas!

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We honeymooned in Quebec City in July. We didn't want a beach or hot weather either. They have a summer festival in July:

http://www.infofestival.com/index.ph...&page=festival

It's hard to see the schedule so you might want to request info by mail. This was going on when we were there but we didn't specifically try to see anything. I remember coming upon a puppet show outdoors so there were some things for kids.

I felt like we were in a small European city. We took the train from Montreal where we also spent some time. We took a cab to and from the train station. We also took a cab to go see Cirque du Soleil. Otherwise we walked everywhere. It's on the water, but not a beachy place, so you can go on a boat ride.

We stayed here:

http://www.germaindominion.com/en/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ty_Quebec.html

It was very nice but probably not the best choice for you. The Hotel Frontenac is the big famous hotel there. Maybe you can get the Princess Package for you:

http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/Proper...ssPrograms.htm

Quite a splurge!
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

That looks fun, but maybe a little too spendy if we include airfare for 4 (w/lap baby.) That type of experience sounds fun!

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If driving, how far of a drive are you willing to do?
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Smack dab in the middle of the summer, I turn 40 - in the middle of July. Yay me!!!
    No suggestions for where to go but just wanted to commiserate ... I will turn 40 soon as well
    Last edited by becca_g; 06-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    ~ Becca

DS: 11/09
    DC: Arriving 12/11

Quote Originally Posted by mousemom View Post
    If driving, how far of a drive are you willing to do?
    Let's say 7 hours, then we park the car and get back in it 4 days later.

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

One more question, do you prefer standard type hotel/resort rooms or are you more into the woods/cabin/no tv type accomodations?
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast