Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

These are some good ideas - we already go to Atlanta to visit family at Christmas, already spent one anniv. at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, kinda looking for something new and fun. Used to live near Gatlinburg, so I've BTDT, except that my BFF would come visit us (and help!!!) there. Actually, my mom has a time-share we could stay in there. Did Chicago briefly after grad school.

What about Boston, DC, VA Beach with a BJCMD and a Triumph or the air tire stroller combo? Are there any areas chock full of children's museum, parks, cheap eateries, street performers, etc.? Is Baltimore's Inner Harbor totally cool?

Part of me wants to do a little trip now and then head to Steamboat this winter to "officially" celebrate the 40's, the anniv. etc. I love skiing.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well DC is wonderful and there is a lot to do. But it is HOT and humid in July. You can use metro, but there is still a lot of walking between the various museums and attractions. If your DH does not like heat, this may not be a good choice.

We love VA Beach. If you stay on the main drag, there is really tons to do. If you are willing to drive a little then there are further afield attractions (aquarium, Yorktown, Norfolk) which are fun especially if the weather is not that great.

Williamsburg and it's attractions (Colonial Williamsburg, Historic Jamestown, Jamestown settlement, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA) are about a 45 minute drive with no traffic from VA Beach. But IMO Williamsburg is much better for older kids who can really get into the history and the rides.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    These are some good ideas - we already go to Atlanta to visit family at Christmas, already spent one anniv. at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, kinda looking for something new and fun. Used to live near Gatlinburg, so I've BTDT, except that my BFF would come visit us (and help!!!) there. Actually, my mom has a time-share we could stay in there. Did Chicago briefly after grad school.

What about Boston, DC, VA Beach with a BJCMD and a Triumph or the air tire stroller combo? Are there any areas chock full of children's museum, parks, cheap eateries, street performers, etc.? Is Baltimore's Inner Harbor totally cool?

Part of me wants to do a little trip now and then head to Steamboat this winter to "officially" celebrate the 40's, the anniv. etc. I love skiing.
    Well after reading all of this, I'd probably do a long weekend in Gatlinburg with your friend and the free (?) time share. I would save my pennies for a nice long winter vacation in Steamboat since that is something you'd really love.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Disclaimer: I know nothing about this place, but I think others have posted about it before and liked it. Also, I am not sure where you are and what a drive to VT would be like for you. So this may or may not be of any use whatsoever!

But have you looked at Tyler Place in VT? It's an all-inclusive family resort.

http://www.tylerplace.com/

mecawa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would recommend an all inclusive resort type of place. That way you can park the car and not have to get back in it for a week, or whatever your duration is. That's what we liked about Disney, we stayed in the park, and walked or took the bus, very kid friendly, but got a Villa for some alone time with DH. My kids are 6 and 1 and I have decided I will go to places like that for the next few years.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Disclaimer: I know nothing about this place, but I think others have posted about it before and liked it. Also, I am not sure where you are and what a drive to VT would be like for you. So this may or may not be of any use whatsoever!

But have you looked at Tyler Place in VT? It's an all-inclusive family resort.

http://www.tylerplace.com/
    Tyler Place probably has a waiting list for July right now. If you're willing to celebrate early, though, I think they still have space at the beginning of the season (starting Memorial Day). Rates are also less expensive then. End of summer rates are also less expensive than peak.

$1200 min. to fly to Tyler place, plus we can't stay a week. Looks great though!

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/timeshare has the same issues we dread - having no onsite food options, plus we'd have to load/unload 3 little ones in/out of the van each day. I'd love to visit Dollywood, lol, but the in/out surrounding the visit may be annoying. Walking back to our room for the 2 younger ones to nap midday would be SO nice.

Is there any kind of Disney-ish place near NC?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post

Is there any kind of Disney-ish place near NC?
    The only thing I can think of is Busch Gardens. There is a Disney vacation resort in Hilton Head, but that is the beach and will be hot.

I don't know what this would cost you in relationto flying, but look at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, Mo. It's a very cool place.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Anyone know of a Callaway Gardens type place near DC maybe? A lodge with stuff we can walk to would be ideal. Doesn't look like Busch Gardens has a hotel nearby. Does it?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Boston will be very hot & humid. IMO, early fall is the best time to visit there, when the trees are turning. Its beautiful in the surrounding more rural areas (esp. Maine) and you aren't completely exhausted from the humidity.

I have never been, but I have always wanted to go to Savannah. Its probably hot and humid then, but man, always wanted to go there.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast