Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Have your DH hold him while you feed him the solids. TSA allows you to bring formula and yogurt for the baby. You can bring a cooler bag and ask for ice from one of the vendors once you pass security. Just bring extra snacks, like Cheerios, Gerber veggie/fruit puffs, dehydrated fruit and whatever your child likes to snack on. If he is on formula, just make sure you have extra in case of a delay.

Don't worry about the napping. It's something about the humming sound on the plane that gets the baby to sleep. If you do have a carrier, use it. It'll definetly help save your arms from falling asleep and also you can do other things. It'll be easier than you think once you're doing it. Good luck and have a great time on your vacation.

Btw...when we travelled with DS to Hawaii when he was 18 months old, we were able to get a discount on his ticket. So, you could try that and see how much it'll cost you to have a seat for him and not worry about getting lucky with an empty seat.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have never had a problem bringing both carseat and stroller to the gate. I have also brought bottles and sippy cups of milk through security. Just take them out and let security know. I also had freezer packs without problem, just take them out of the cooler also to be sure.
    As for a 1yr lap child; you can do it. He will want to be moving around, so if he is walking, be prepared to walk up and down the aisles with him, so put some shoes on him, or bring multiple pairs of socks since those carpets are nasty.
    I carry extra sets of earplugs to offer to those in the seats near me if my DS is crying, but thankfully have never had to use them.
    Do airlines even serve free meals anymore? I haven't taken a flight longer than 5hrs and only had food for sale, so you may want to check with Continental about that. Either way, bring tons of food for your DS, that is one way to keep him content.
    mom to Billy 12/07

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but make sure to pack an extra shirt/top/layering piece for yourself... in case you get a mega spit-up or throw up on you. I stumbled across that tip while reading through one of the BB posts, and I'm glad I did.... my normally non-spitty-uppy DD lost half her lunch, and most of a six ounce bottle, mid-flight... and it was all over me. Luckily, I packed an extra t-shirt for myself in her diaper bag!

Oh, and another tip (really more like a joke, lol!): a friend told me to offer to buy a drink for all the people seated immediately around me... kinda' broke the ice, that "yep, I have a baby on this flight, but get over it people... cheers!" (I did not actually buy anyone a drink, but I did joke about it on one of our first flights... it made some of the other passengers laugh!)
    DD born 9/1/09... she's tiny but mighty!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2