Default Are pricey bike trailers worth the expense?

I'm looking for a bike trailer for my 18 month old so my husband and I can take him biking, primarily on a paved rail trail. Do I really need a Burley or Chariot? What makes the expensive trailers better? Will my little guy be much more comfortable or safe in a pricey trailer? Is it worth it? What do you think?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have what I think is a no-name ("Rhode Gear?") trailer that I got off of Craigslist. I have used it both on paved rail trail & on the road, no problems. I wouldn't use it for a young infant but 12 mo+ it's fine.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a "pricey" trailer, but we didn't pay a lot for it b/c I found it on Craigslist. Something to keep in mind is that Burley-type trailers hold their value quite well, so you can recoup much of their cost when your child outgrows it. I know we'll be able to sell our trailer in a few years for what we paid - if not a bit more!
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

a friend hates her cheap one b/c it flips easily and is rusty. We have a new one (actually would like an 08 or newer b/c of the recline) from 07 I believe, and it has lots of safety things the others don't have. We also use the back compartment to take bags to the beach - and we add the front jogger wheel. You can add stuff to the more $$$ ones to get more use out of them. The d'lite can be for one or two children.

I have a pricey one and love it.

How often would your DH cycle with your LO? and for how long? If he is only going 10 miles down the local MUP once a week, I'm not sure if it is worth pouring a ton of money into an expensive carrier (although, as a PP noted, they do hold much of their value when it comes to resale). But if he is cycling five times a week for 1-2 hours a pop ... I would think that a safe, comfortable baby would be worth the price.

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have a new but inexpensive bike trailer. While I think it is 'safe' and it is sturdy, easy to attach etc. We are not avid bikers...We are just doing family rides 1 or 2x a month.
    But...
    my children hate it. I think the specific problem is that they can't relax/ lean their heads back with their helmet on. I read that the expensive ones have a "cut out" for the helmet to recess into so you don't have this problem.

I looked for about 6 mo on my CL and never found a burley or chariot for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
    But...
    my children hate it. I think the specific problem is that they can't relax/ lean their heads back with their helmet on. I read that the expensive ones have a "cut out" for the helmet to recess into so you don't have this problem.
    This is what we found with bike trailers and joggers. We never found a deal either and decided we didn't bike enough to make it worth it for a $$$ one.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

I wouldn't worry about safety as much with a cheaper trailer, but what you're paying for with the pricier ones are:
    -ease of use (for the adult who has to set it up)
    -comfort of ride (better for napping, smoother ride, potentially better sunshade, nicer harness
    -a product that keeps its value for resale

Some of the less expensive ones (no, I don't know which ones specifically) can tip if the adult bike tips over. Burleys and Chariots are on a hitch that's designed not to.

None of that is necessary, but those are some of the differences that I've noticed.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton