Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default iTouch or Nintendo DS (for non-verbal autistic child to use to communicate)

I have recently been told about a new app for non-verbal autistic children called Tap To Talk. You can download the app on either a couple different apple "i" products, a home computer or Nintendo DS. I have three non-verbal autistic children and this app would be so beneficial to our family. It is not easy carrying around a thick three ring binder full of little laminated pictures that my child(ren) use to communicate. This would be a handy little device that would fit into my purse with room to spare.

I am assuming that the DS is a little more sturdy than an iTouch but have never handled either. Is it better to buy new or used refurbished?

Thanks so much!

http://www.taptotalk.com

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You can get bumpers for either that help protect them from falling (my DH has an iPod Touch and a bumper slipcover ... and the DS I bought him for a birthday a few years ago also has bumpers because I couldn't find a nice hard case for it that wasn't designed by/for a 12 y/o girl.)

However, if you'd prefer to spend less so you know how your DC react to the new object, I'd go with the DS. (Bonus: if your kids all take to the new method and end up wanting their own machines, a DS is a lot less expensive to buy in triplicate than an iPod Touch.)

Good luck!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No recommendations, but I am curious to hear how this works for you. It seems like a wonderful tool.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I am certain we will purchase either the iTouch or Ninetendo DS so I will let you know who it goes. We just need to decide which one and whether to buy new or refurbed. The speech therapist at school said go with the DS so we may go that route.

We are fortunate that our families are supportive of providing theraputic items for birthday and Christmas gifts. One BLI & SIL bought the MeMoves DVD for all three boys as their birthday gift. I sent a message out to family about Tap To Talk. One SIL has already said she can send $ for birthday and Christmas. It certainly helps that they want to provide toys/items that the boys will actually use and get something out of instead of toys that they won't even pay attention to or touch.

I would go with the Ipod Touch. Also check out the iPrompts app.

http://www.handholdadaptive.com/

It may help - though I've never looked at taptotalk. Good luck!
    Rachel
    DS 10 playing lacrosse
    DS 6 playing soccer
    Great Dane 11 months
    Newly single

I just want to say this is really interesting. Let us know how it works for the kids.
    Karin & Katie Oct. 2002

My nephew has Angelman's Syndrome (non-verbal) and his communication instructor is also working with this application. His mother just ordered him the I-Pad and they will be doing all of the communication work with that. He is younger (2) so the bigger size is ideal.
    Mama to 5 wild ones

I would vote for iPod Touch. Tap to Talk, which is the one you are looking to use, works on the Nintendo DS OR the iPhone/iTouch, but other up and coming developers may be working on great technology only for smart phones, since technology is kind of moving that direction. That way, you would be able to upgrade to the most advanced program if something awesome comes out instead of only having the option of Tap to Talk since you bought the DS and no other developers have developed for that platform. For example, iPrompt looks pretty cool, but is only for the Apple devices.

We have a Otterbox Defender for our iTouch and it protects really well - the kids have dropped ours several times.

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defen...801331&sr=1-15
    DD (3/05) and DS (5/07) still harnessed and loving the cupholders in their Frontier 85s!

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just wanted to chime in to say that DS1 got a refurb DS Lite for his birthday at the end of March, and we haven't been able to tell the difference.

It was bought at GameStop, and was probably no more than $100. (It was a gift.)

DS1 loves it -- and we only have a couple of games for him. (Not on the spectrum, so no help there.)

And Nerf sells a case for the DS that would probably work well to help protect it. (We have a Lego Star Wars case that has helped it through several falls already.)

Keep in mind that you can get a DS now, see how it works for relatively low cost, and upgrade to an iPod later if that looks like a better platform. The DS will always have games for the kids, so it wouldn't be a waste. And, as someone has pointed out already, three DS's will be much less than three iPods, refurb or not.
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I was planning on getting the Ipod touch for my non verbal DD1 but am waiting maybe until this coming Christmas. I wanted to get it last year but DH didn't think she was ready for it yet. I want to get the Ipod touch instead of the DS because DD wouldn't be interested in the games the DS can offer and would have more trouble operating it. I want the ipod touch more for the preschool apps and the communication app (talk to tap). Since DD also has some fine motor issues I am a little worried that she will have trouble operating the small buttons but I think the Ipad is too much money.
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast