♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Question stinky poop in EBF baby?

my DS is 4 months old and i have been EBFing (no solids yet). for the first few months his poop didn't smell at all, and it was great! esp cuz we use cloth dipes and would only wash them every other day. but then, for the past month or so, his poop has been smelling BAD. as in, today when DH was helping me change DS, my DH literally ran from the room gagging. lol. it's weird too because DS's poop is a lot less "seedy" now and is a lot more runny. it just looks like brown liquid (sorry to be so descriptive, LOL!) and it doesn't really smell like adult poop or a formula-fed baby's poop..it has more of a "sour" smell to it.

so i was just wondering, could it be diarrhea? how do i know whats diarrhea or not, it all looks so runny. and i thot BF poop wasn't supposed to smell bad at all (and it didn't, for like the 1st 3 months!). i don't know what changed as i haven't started him on solids yet. the only thing that's different now is that he poops maybe every 1-4 days instead of every single day like he did before.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Hmmm. Sour, I think dairy, but who knows. Sounds like it could be in the range of normal. As they get older, it does change. Will be interested to see what others say.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

We experienced the same thing at around two and half months. His bms became runny, smoother, darker, and smelled like vinegar. Around five months they mellowed out. Now we have started solids and they are interesting again!
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD2 is not a daily pooper either. The longer she goes between poops, the stronger the smell and less seedy looking. Some days it's like a thick mustard and more brown in color. With a BF baby I would expect diarrhea to be multiple poops a day and more watery...as in soaking in the diaper like pee instead of sitting on top of the diaper if that makes sense.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

At that age DS was doing something very similar- brown yuck! and going about every 2 or three days.

thx everyone! i just went to the ped for 4month checkup and asked about this, and he said it's fine..also gave me the green light to start introducing rice cereal...this should be interesting!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It sounds like teething poo to me. I wouldn't start solids unless it's something you really want to do @ 4 mo. I don't rally understand why peds push solids @ 4 mo, when the AAP SAYS 6 mo.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

nak

teething poo? interesting. never heard of that. he has been teething for the past month. also spitting up a lot. now that u mention it i guess it makes sense. maybe all the excess saliva he has been swallowing?

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    nak

teething poo? interesting. never heard of that. he has been teething for the past month. also spitting up a lot. now that u mention it i guess it makes sense. maybe all the excess saliva he has been swallowing?
    Yeah, teething poop is really sour and foul smelling.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs