View Poll Results: From my 2nd grader's homework... which word best defines "mesmerized"?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spellbound

88 71.54%
  • Hypnotized

35 28.46%
  • Wet

0 0%
  • Mesmerized is a word?

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What a mean thing to do to little kids. Spellbound and hypnotized are BOTH synonyms of mesmerized. Might want to get that teacher a dictionary
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would say spellbound OR hypnotized! Are they by chance preparing for the NCLB testing?
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 05-14-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    I picked spellbound but I think that it is really close with hypnotised. Pretty sophisticated for 2nd grade, I think.
    That's pretty off-handed, as it seems that both are correct. 2nd grade? Really?
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

rlu is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    People usually use it to mean "hypnotized" but Dictionary.com says "spellbound" is better.

Comes from Dr. Mesmer, who was a psychologist who used hypnotism to treat his patients.

OT but I learned about Mesmer from Amanda Quick! It's amazing what we can learn from reading fluff!

I chose hypnotized due to the Mesmer fact.

eta: I remember in elementary school being given a test and told to read all the questions and instructions before beginning. The instruction at the bottom said to merely put your name on the test and turn the page over. I think this was in 5th or 6th grade though, I don't remember trick questions before that.

eta again: I'm pretty sure I learned about Mesmer from Amanda Quick, but think it was reinforced by recent reading of Molly Moon.
    Last edited by rlu; 05-15-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    DS Mar04, 8th grader. Life Scout. Being read Flash the Homeless Donkey.
    GoldPup (golden retriever born Dec14); Big Boy Dog (1997 - 2008); Little Girl Dog (1997 - 2005); two 10-yo (2007-2017) huge goldfish we can no longer find in MIL's fish pond
    Go Sharks! Go Mirai, Nathan, the Shib Sibs and Team USA
    Recently read The Hate U Give (highly recommend) and The Noel Diary (ok, light). Starting A Dog Named Boo.
    Pooh - "It's a beautiful day." Eeyore - "Not from where I'm sitting." Pooh - "Try standing next to me." From The Best Bear in All the World, Spring.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2