wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Question about probiotics and breastmilk

DD2 has been battling an ear infection and was on amox, then had 2 abx shots, and is now on 10d of augmentin. Needless to say, even though she's exclusively BF, we have been worried about diarrhea from wiping out all her good bacteria. I have Culturelle probiotic that comes in the single packs (instead of capsules) so it's easy to add to food/beverages. It says to add to cold/cool foods. But we warm DD2's bottles of EBM up (daycare uses a bottle warmer). Does warming kill the good stuff or does it just need to be added to cold for mixing purposes? I add the probiotic to the bottle when it's cold and have been instructing DCP to keep that one bottle at room temp, but I'm not clear if that's necessary. DD2 much prefers a warm bottle.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would get some probiotic powder and make a paste with a bit of water... let her suck it off of your finger. Then you know it's getting right into her system and don't have to worry about bottle temps!

I like Udo's Choice probiotics

http://www.iherb.com/Flora-Udo-s-Cho...&utm_medium=f2

Jarrow is good too

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...r-Ice/353?at=0

They have probiotics for babies, we use Life Start by Natrun and get it at the natural foods store. It says to put it in warm/room temp food/drink. We usually put it in cold applesauce since we do not have many opportunities to add it to room temp/warm items.